AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firearms that are fun and simple to build other than the AK?

Been around for a while and am getting board of the AK builds. Any other systems ( not ar) that are simple and fun to assemble/build?

Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The FN=FAL is not too hard at all. build consists mostly of 1- a barrel to be torqued down properly, 2- figure out locking shoulder size for headspace, 3- and fitting of the rest of the parts to the upper. Requires only a few specialty tools and they are very fun to shoot

·
Registered
665 Posts
The VZ 58 is very easy and fun to shoot. If you know how to weld the Kp 44 has become fairly simple.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The homebuilder's kit TNW has for their Soumi M31 is a fairly simple one, if you can weld. Also, being 9mm, it's not expensive to shoot when you're done.

As mentioned, AR15's are easy, but if you want to do something a little different, build a "retro AR". But beware, they're kind of like rabbits. You start with one, and next thing you know your safe is full of them. There are pretty reasonably priced M16A1 kits out there right now...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The tnw is easy if you have access to welding equipment. Heck, you could braze or solder it together. With kits gaining in price it is hardly worth it anymore. I've started moving towards the scratch built stuff, Jaco western, Chicopee rimfire, etc. weaponsguild is a great site for that stuff.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I'm working on a PPS-43 in 9mm right now. While it's not difficult, it's extremely tedious. I have read the Gory is a pretty straight forward build needing you to only block some FA spots and get a semi fcg. No bolt conversion work like most of the smg's available.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good ideas. I would not mind looking into a 9mm type AR in PISTON.
Any of the above mentioned welders have a quick FAQ/101 webpage and a recommended welder that is good?
I do spot welding ATM.
:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The obvious choice would be the AR but they're almost too easy. Although I really like the idea of a retro M16A1 or something period correct. That would be a lot of fun to build.

Garands are fun b/c there are so many variations of stock color and stain. They're not too difficult. Getting all of the required tools is a small fortune though (my perception). But, for me, it was a fulfilling connection to my Grandfather: I built one as close as possible to a picture of his - including wear marks.

If you want a challenge, try building a 1911. I love/hate those things. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked into the 1911 and even read a book about them. Every part needs to be hand fitted to a degree.

Still looking for some welder options...

·
Registered
10 Posts
How much do you want to spend? If you're only doing weapon work, a TIG welder is probably best.

But the learning curve and price as well as the needed accessories (argon, electrode, filler, and the
knowledge needed to pick the correct accessories) is too much trouble for most.

A MIG welder of some sort is probably the best balance between simplicity, price, and flexibility. You can
use flux core wire or gas.

Stick welding is the least expensive option, but like everything else in this hobby, you pay the difference with your skill.

Oxy Acetylene and a filler rod works too, but I've never used this method before.

Disclaimer- I am not a professional welder, just a normal guy with rich friends that have cool toys.

·
Registered
826 Posts
All good ideas. I would not mind looking into a 9mm type AR in PISTON.
Any of the above mentioned welders have a quick FAQ/101 webpage and a recommended welder that is good?
I do spot welding ATM.
:)
I think making a pistol caliber/ rotating bolt/ piston system to work would involve a huge piston (like the size of a beer can), as the pressure is quite low compared to a rifle round. You could put the gas port right at the end of the chamber, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a rotating bolt/ gas piston design.

The UZI kits at Numrich are REALLY nice, and cheap too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much do you want to spend? If you're only doing weapon work, a TIG welder is probably best.

But the learning curve and price as well as the needed accessories (argon, electrode, filler, and the
knowledge needed to pick the correct accessories) is too much trouble for most.

A MIG welder of some sort is probably the best balance between simplicity, price, and flexibility. You can
use flux core wire or gas.

Stick welding is the least expensive option, but like everything else in this hobby, you pay the difference with your skill.

Oxy Acetylene and a filler rod works too, but I've never used this method before.

Disclaimer- I am not a professional welder, just a normal guy with rich friends that have cool toys.
Thank you, this is a good starting point for me.

Those UZI kits looked neat and cheap, but the barreled versions were sold out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts