AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the metel pins in the romy lower handgaurds will melt or damage the new finish of the wood if I get it refinised? I know it burns the crap out of my fingers because the metel is expose throught the wood. Also would they finish right over the pins so it won't get as hot when I'm shooting?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure, renforcing pins. I don't know what they are doing in the wood. I want to know if they would burn/melt the finish if I get the wood all refinished.
P.S. I also noticed then in the stock, three of them. But they don't get hot there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It sounds like he's saying the pins in the laminate in the handguard are getting so hot from firing that they are burning his hands. If that's the case, there's not a whole lot that can be done about that. AKs tend to heat up in the barrel pretty quickly during prolonged rapid fire.

That said, every piece of factory laminate AK furniture comes with reinforcement pins in the wood. They are designed to be there. Pay them no mind when you refinish the stock, they will not hurt a thing.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Exothermia said:
It sounds like he's saying the pins in the laminate in the handguard are getting so hot from firing that they are burning his hands. If that's the case, there's not a whole lot that can be done about that. AKs tend to heat up in the barrel pretty quickly during prolonged rapid fire.

That said, every piece of factory laminate AK furniture comes with reinforcement pins in the wood. They are designed to be there. Pay them no mind when you refinish the stock, they will not hurt a thing.
Just what he said^^^^

·
Registered
812 Posts
I shot alot of AKs, even full auto. I've never had them burn my hands. I guess it's possible though, but if it gets that hot, I'd say you would have to worry about the finish on the entire hand guard...and have a fire extinguisher handy!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
555th said:
I shot alot of AKs, even full auto. I've never had them burn my hands. I guess it's possible though, but if it gets that hot, I'd say you would have to worry about the finish on the entire hand guard...and have a fire extinguisher handy!!
haha yah! I seen a video on youtube with a guy firing a full auto and he went through like 4 or 5 drums and a few 30 rd mags and the whole time his handgaurds where on fire. But thanks for the replys, I'll be redoing all the wood on my romy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts