AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've wanted one of these rifles forever it seems.

..But with the introduction of the tavor I was torn which bullpup I wanted.

I have never owned one so their all new to me. I did alot of research between the steyr aug and the tavor. Most if not all reviews were basically 50/50. I went to my local shop, picked both up side by side, dry fired both. The trigger on the tavor was too big a deterrence for me, 2k for it was hard to stomach for it. Contrast that with the AUG trigger, which wasnt as nice as what I'm used to with AR triggers... but still somthing I can get used to.

I realize bullpups have triggers of that nature by design but I couldn't justify it with the Tavor. Plus I liked the lines, feel, look & design of the Steyr AUG alot more, its more iconic when I think of the bullpup design.

So called up the gent who runs the shop and he hooked me up. New AUG A3 by next week.
Ordered a bunch of Austrian mags from Man Venture Outpost for 16 bucks too boot. Steyr Arms Mag 223 Rem 42Rd Black AUG 1200050510 - ManVenture Outpost, LLC.

Next week is gonna be a good week. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
Looking forward to the pics and a range report! Christmas came early...:cool:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Thanks for the link to the mags! That is the best price I have ever seen on AUG mags. Used to be you were lucky to find them for $40!!!

I have an early AUG A1 and a USR and they are a lot of fun to shoot. They seem really clunky until you shoulder them, then they just seem to become an extension of your body. Great shooters!

Hope you enjoy yours when you get it as much as I have enjoyed mine!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Go to augusa.com and you might get some info on how to make the trigger a little better. Oh well wrong address.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
You will love it! I have a Tavor, SA2000 and AUG A3, and the AUG is my favorite. My son however prefers the Tavor.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Guy on gunbroker sells a drop in trigger piece called the "Neu Trigger". I have it in two of my AUG's, greatly reduces pull and gives a nice clean break. Also some guy sells small stick on stock adapters so you don't ding up your stock assembly.

FYI- you made the right decision. The reviews might be 50/50 but the people who own both always prefer the AUG. Mine are all NATO stocked AUG's so I can use my AR mags.

7n6

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may look into buying a NATO stock in the future, but AUG mags seem to have come down in price alot from what I remember. So I'll stick with the OEM stock and OEM mags for now.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I may look into buying a NATO stock in the future, but AUG mags seem to have come down in price alot from what I remember. So I'll stick with the OEM stock and OEM mags for now.
Truthfully, if I didn't own AR's, I would have stuck with the regular magazines. I didn't want to add another mag to the pile when I already have AR mags and Arsenal Bulgaria 5.56 mags. Most from what I have read, prefer the standard stock over the NATO stock- if anything, just for the bolt release above the magwell. The NATO stock was designed in the 70's and doesn't have the bolt release so you have to reach up and pull the charging handle each time. Now if you read some of the ninja websites- the operator operator derps never use the bolt release anyway and only use the charging handle, so it's a wash. I personally like the bolt release on the standard A3 stock but for logistics, I chose the NATO stock. Finally, everyone who runs these, myself included, won't take their AR's to the range anymore once they get one. The AUG is an awesome rifle and very fun to shoot.

So now you need to get the "military high rail", the new gen "A2 rail" or the "CQC rail". Or be like me and get one of each.

7n6

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Pics required upon receipt ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good move. Buy the crap out of AUG mags while they are cheap. Right now, there is no valid reason to mess with the NATO stock and AR mags, when superior 42 round OEM Steyr mags can be had for about what a PMag cost.
The Neu Trigger is a good move, it's overpriced for what it is, but not for what it does. I put one in my A3, and honestly can use that trigger as well as my AR's with two stage match trigger setups.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You chose wise. I love my AUG, I got the OD Green stock and 1/7 twist barrel from Pete last week, couldnt be happier. I also recommend the 2020 precision sear that rat worx is selling. They are out of stock for now but keep checking on a regular basis.
2013-11-30 14.48.22.jpg

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks sweet Sargent, I wanted an OD but i can live with a black stock.
Been checking out PJ's website for extra barrels, I'd love to get my hands on a 20" barrel for the rifle in the future.

Does the 2020 precision sear fit the AUG? They list it as a MSAR replacement? MSAR is an AUG clone basically correct?

·
Registered
297 Posts
You would need the AUG sear. The MSAR will not fit/ work in the AUG trigger pack.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would love to own one as well, but could not afford it right now.
@ 7n6 - does the NATO stock accept PMAGs, or do you have to modify them?

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
I would love to own one as well, but could not afford it right now.
@ 7n6 - does the NATO stock accept PMAGs, or do you have to modify them?
The NATO stock will run Pmags no problem.

Sven
Manticore Arms

·
Banned
950 Posts
The NATO stock will run Pmags no problem.

Sven
Manticore Arms

OK, actually that is partially true. The back of the Gen 2 P-Mags have a "v" slot where the follower engages the bolt catch. The Gen 3 P-Mags are "Stanag" compatible and have a "square" notch behind the follower. The square notch Gen 3's, standard GI aluminum, and Lancer L5 AWM's all are good to go with the NATO stock. However the Gen 2's will need the notch opened up slightly, I mean very slightly, otherwise the bolt catch engages early and leaves scratches all over the underside of your bolt carrier. However, yes, they can and will work fine with your NATO stock but the square notch backed ones or modified Gen 2 P-Mags will work better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So where would a fellow find a deal on a Steyr AUG these days? Or is it one of those situations where you ask your local FFL and hope one of his distributors carries them?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts