AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my AKM to the range today to play with it. I wanted to try the Romy drum. I was surprised how well it worked and the gun was still comfortable to hold. That's a great way to turn a pie plate area of the target into a cut out! It worked just fine, so it's a keeper.
I put a urethane damper in the end of the reciever too just to try it. I believe it takes some sharpness out of the recoil. But I never found the recoil offensive to begin with. That full drum lessened the recoil though! That was downright comfortable shooting until half the ammo was used up.
Here's where the problem came in.
I bought a couple 5 round Chinese made steel mags just in case I ever want to take it hunting. They were made from nice heavy steel with good welds just like a regular Romy or Polish mags. Just $5 each too. But on both of them the spring was too weak to push the last round up properly and the gun failed to feed! It hung up behind the chamber. I pulled the mag free and in both cases I could pop a round into the mag and it just sat there well below the feel lips!
I loaded them a few days ago with Wolf fmj. I wouldn't have thought that the springs would weaken to that point so quickly. By the time I got home the followers were hard up against the feed lips again. At least their spring steel has memory to it.
Next time I come across an old AK 30 rounder that's cheap I'll have to buy it to use the spring in these 5 round mags. They're nice mags and fit very firmly. But the springs are junk. Damned Chinese metalurgy!
The Promag AK mags, three of them, that I loaded up with 30 rounds each a few weeks ago worked perfectly today. Go figure. Those and all the steel Romy and Polish mags I've used so far have been perfect.

I can't complain though. I've put almost a case of ammo through this AKM now and this was the first problem.

Some young Marines there got quite a kick outta my P64 and the AKM with the Romy drum. One kept shouting "Man!! I KNOW that gun! I mean I REALLY KNOW that gun! I just got back week, ya know!) You'd think he was seeing an old friend or something! :smile: All of them enjoyed checking out the P64. They liked the old fashioned blueing and the craftsmanship in it. As I was packing to leave one Sargeant commented he wished he could get a good steel drum for his AR. (Not a fan of plastic.)

Nice morning at the range! Made working this afternoon alot more pleasant.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
My Brother-in-Law is in the spring business,I once asked him about magazine springs weakening and he said,stretch the spring and put it in the oven on 500 for about an hour,this should set the memory of the new length.I have'nt tried it but it seems plausible.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The last of the chinese short mags were getting pretty poor.

You can stretch the spring a little and they seem to work reasonably well.

Lollygagger :neutral:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. But there's no substitute for better metalurgy. I want mags I can load and use much later and still have them work. Better to take a spring out of a old european made mag and chop it to the proper length, fit it, test it and then never have to worry about it again.
These dang Chinese mags ruined my gun's perfect record! I don't take that lightly.
Aw well......
My SKS's record is still perfect. :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts