AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big soccer fan, and love when the World Cup comes around. I was wondering how many others are gearing up for this event. Opener is in Joburg Friday at 1000h Eastern, and the US plays Saturday at 1430h Eastern. I will have a party for the final, if anyone is in the area (11 July). :dance:

· Registered
4,405 Posts
I got truned onto the world cup in 1990, I was 16 in Kassel Germany when Germany beat Brazil. The city went crazy, and I had a drunken blast. I'll never forget watch two hot chicks slaming a punks head into a car repeatedly, I just stood there watching.

I watch the world cup when I can but I do not schedule my life around it. I do not get SA's new mascot. I have a SA soldier in my sqd and he too does not understand what the hell its supposed to be.

· Registered
2,548 Posts
I was lucky enough to have been living in England during the mid 60's when my dad was stationed there. England was hosting the World Cup then and beat Germany in the final to win it. I had my money on England and made quite a bit for a teenager. Best part was actually being legal to go to the pubs and actually drink legally at 15!

What I would really like to see on TV here is English Rugby and Australian rules rugby! We had a base team at Lakenheath that I played on. On a 33 man squad we only had two players at the end of the season without a broken bone!

· Registered
3,098 Posts
INFANTRY said:
I got truned onto the world cup in 1990, I was 16 in Kassel Germany when Germany beat Brazil. The city went crazy, and I had a drunken blast. I'll never forget watch two hot chicks slaming a punks head into a car repeatedly, I just stood there watching.

I watch the world cup when I can but I do not schedule my life around it. I do not get SA's new mascot. I have a SA soldier in my sqd and he too does not understand what the hell its supposed to be.
lol, it's a "going green" leopard:

I'll be watching the World Cup too. I have always liked soccer and wish it was bigger here. I was in Germany for the last week of the World Cup 2006 and it was nuts.... I am hoping America might actually do well this year-at least we know we'll beat Mexico! :grin:

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Ahh, a leopard !!! When I saw that mascot the first time it was a guy wearing a suit, not a cartoon, and you could not see the tail or any spots. I believe he's green because all of SA national teams wear green. That's what the Boar in my squad said anyways.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
i don't really follow soccer but i always watch world cups,..something about countries playing each other that makes it exciting. the last one i had a good time watching. i still love motorsports better though.

· Registered
1,942 Posts
I remember when the only way to watch this stuff was on the Spanish language channel. Yes, that was back when they just had one on network tv.

· Registered
1,942 Posts
SergeK said:
kaiservontexas said:
SergeK said:
I'm going to an English pub for USA/England. I am probably gonna walk out looking like swiss cheese.
Hooligans? I confused your location is Florida.
English Owned English Pub in Boca Raton, many UK Ex-pats flock to this location.
Aww Richmond Arms Pub can get close to like that when füßball or rugby is on.

When is the game? I need to look this stuff up.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
kaiservontexas said:
Aww Richmond Arms Pub can get close to like that when füßball or rugby is on.

When is the game? I need to look this stuff up.
Fußball is spelled without an Umlaut! :grin:

USA-England Game is at 2030 SA time on June 12th on ABC.... so that's 1130 Mountain Standard time. :dance:

source: http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Fi ... re/1154991

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.