AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. JGSales has Hungarian FEG- PA63 pistols in stock and for sale for 139.95. For those of you who don't know, the feg is a 9X18 Makarov cal. that is double action/single action and looks and works very much like a Walther. They have an aluminum frame so to make them good shooters, you need to buy the heavy recoil spring and get some slimline grips for them. I use one for summer carry in the desert as it won't print when you're wearing IWB with nothing but tee shirt and shorts. I highly recommend these at this price and they won't last long. Good Hungarian quality at a basement price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
AIM has them for $139 as well. I heard a couple people say these werent as good of quality, or as reliable as a Makarov though. And that hollow points didn't feed well in alot of them. But I think they would make good plinkers and are probably fairly accurate.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wolverine said:
AIM has them for $139 as well. I heard a couple people say these werent as good of quality, or as reliable as a Makarov though. And that hollow points didn't feed well in alot of them. But I think they would make good plinkers and are probably fairly accurate.
Quality was great on the one I got a couple years ago from JG. Fit, finish was excellent, but you do have a point about hollow points, I should have brought that out. The tend to jam on anything other than hardball. For CCW, I load a HP in the chamber and the mag gets hardball. Real nice plinkers as you say.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've sort of come to the conclusion that for .380 class ammo ball is ok. From my perspective the main purpose of HP is to prevent over penetration. Most of these won't go all the way through anything that would be shot at from a "social" point of view any way. So ball is fine, and you get enought penetration to get to organs that need to be got to. Just another point of veiw.

Wolf used to make a neat 109 grain 9X18 that got about 1000 fps, that was a good load, got into low end 9mm Luger range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My FEG SMC-380 had the hollow point problem. Took a little off the very end of the magazine feed lips so that the cartridge can rise up into the chamber easier. Very reliable with HP now.

OBTW Thanks for the heads up. I know a guy looking for these.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So is that the normal 9mm you can pick up at any Walmart and so on or is it one of the more odd sizes you have to order or go to the gun store for? (mm has never been my favirot cal but have been considering one if the price was right for summer carry since could get surpluss ammo cheap to practice with.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No your thinking of 9mm Luger its 9x19, we are talking of 9mm Makarov it is 9x18. Most gunstores carry it, and itst pretty cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How hard is it to find anything other than hard ball? I know if I can find one in my price range (pronounced po' boy budget) I would like to get something like an S&W modle 10.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Monkeyman, 9x18mm Makarov is very different from 9mm Parabellum, which is the "regular" 9mm.

9x18mm actually uses a .363 diameter bullet, where 9mm and .380 use a .355 diameter bullet.

9x19mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO, it's all the same cartridge.

9x17mm, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, it's all .380 ACP.

9x18mm Makarov actualy is a hotter load than most .380's and not quite what a 9mm Luger round can do.

Typically 9x18mm pushes a 93-95gr. bullet at about 1050 fps. Some loads are hotter than that though, and the Russians have special subgun load which pushes the bullet as fast as a 9mm Luger round will go.

Hornaday and Federal both make good hollowpoint loads for it, and CCI/Speer used to offer a Gold Dot load a while back but I haven't seen any for a long time.

I carry the Hornaday XTP in my Bulgarian Makarov and it does great.

*edited to add----Russian steel cased ammo is pretty cheap and just fine for the service pistols chambered in 9x18mm, like the Makarov, CZ-82, the PA-63 and the Polish P-64. The Russians also load several hollowpoint variations for the round too.

Pretty cheap to shoot with Russian ammo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
monkeyman said:
How hard is it to find anything other than hard ball? I know if I can find one in my price range (pronounced po' boy budget) I would like to get something like an S&W modle 10.
Monkeyman, not sure how much room you have budget wise, but SOG flyer has some used S&W 4" 10's for $170, for $200 have 3" M36 or 4" M13. for $230 have a GP-100 DAO. In my area ball ammo for the 9X18 and .38 special are about the same price, the 13's .357 cost a little more.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
i know for a fact the 9x18mm American Eagle rounds can go thru not one but two 1-1/4 thick plywood pallet bases stacked against a pile of sandbags,..so 2.5in. of plywood,...not bad,..at least i know i can plug someone thru a wall now,..or at least thru a bedroom door.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts