AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why do so many vendors use FedEx when they are so clearly anti gun

stopped into FedEx ground to drop off a rifle to ship back to manufacturer for repair , guy says is this a rifle i said yea , he says they can no longer take them that i have to schedule a pick up , i asked why , and get this excuse or lame attempt at reasoning,,,

he says because it goes through too many hands when its dropped off , first off ,wtf does that even mean , second its actually adding a step and a extra trip for them to pick it up

they routinely lose boxs that are clearly rifles , ive been a victim of this twice with them

what is the attraction to FedEx with the gun community?

·
Registered
192 Posts
A lot of times the only way I can figure that various HUGE companies got where they are and stay in business today is that the DS made it happen and makes it continue.

Fed-Ex is an unbelievably bad shipper.

Only a few months ago, I had a run of six out of seven shipments to me being left at randomly wrong nearby addresses. (There is nothing at all challenging about my delivery address, by the way.) Three of them I recovered, three could not be. I spent at least two hours total on the phone with Fed-Ex and the end result on finally getting it escalated was that the driver is not a Fed-Ex employee, they have no means of determining who the Ground drivers are, and there was nothing they could do except report it to the unnamed contractor. They refused to provide me any means of contacting that contractor. My own research could not determine any means of doing so either.

And yet shippers keep using them.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
last winter they lost a 1957 type 56 SKS for 2 weeks , wasnt until i said i was contacting the ATF and Boise local police that magically surfaced the very next day

·
Registered
181 Posts
what is the attraction to FedEx with the gun community?
It is all about shipping rates. I worked in this industry for a few years and the shipping companies will go to vendors and offer a discounted rate for their business depending on volume. They all do it, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, AMS, and other regional carriers. With more volume the service is worse. It is capitalism at it's finest as they (vendors) still charge you, the customer, premium shipping rates. Charge you $15.00 Shipping for something that they could have put in a envelope. Pisses me off considering what they ask ($$$) for thier wares.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The shippers make or break businesses with the rates they do or do not offer.

Some years back I had what in every other way would have for at least a while been a great opportunity. A really superior product I could get in bulk at a then-fantastic price and the connections to get it to buyers was there. But I could not get a decent shipping rate. I forget the exact number but I would have been paying close to $15 on small package orders with the product not much higher priced than that, while established outfits would have been paying a few dollars. Absolutely blocked from the market by the shippers.

Where I work now, they they have to pay absolutely insane prices to ship direct to customer that others do not have to pay.

I can see that where a retailer is graced with an affordable offer from one of the shippers, they are going to cling to it.

Reactions: BigJoe

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thank you.

And, artificially propel some to the top and hold others down. If only we really had a free market. It is not a free market, in many ways that aren't immediately apparent.

Reactions: Axel Foley

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I wish it was isolated to only Fed Ex. Don’t get me wrong, they suck. UPS has lost more packages for me than Fed Ex but I use them 5x more so it’s understandable. I have used the ATF threat with all 3 shipping companies and I have never lost a firearm with any. However, I have had NFA items lost for weeks, usually at my local depot which is suspicious since they know I am an SOT. USPS has been the worst for me, followed closely by Fed Ex, then UPS, but UPS usually doesn’t deliver to me until about 7pm which is totally unacceptable. During COVID they suspended Adult Signature Required and that could have been really bad, luckily that’s coming back. I don’t need the agro of having to go to ATF and saying 10 suppressors got dropped off and I have no idea where they are…. God, the paperwork would be enormous, not to mention inspections every other week for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a month or so ago , i was talking with my gun guy , his shop is in town on a busy street , said he gets a phone call one evening by the home owner next to his shop that there were a pile of packages piled up on his door step after he had closed the shop , he gets there they are all FedEx and all guns , pistols and rifles

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It's whom they have the shipping contract with.
Apparently, in some areas, FedEx is more ubiquitous and a better deal.
Out here, it's a bit spotty, but we've had the same lady now for a while, and I have her trained.
Our local UPS, the lady that runs the depot hates anything firearm related, so we have to dance around that some. Her Latina assistant, however, is a hot-uh very professional, helpful and courteous.
USPS I've finally gotten them where they're not as big of a PIA.
Biggest shipping hassle for me now is Midway uses that sure post that's half UPS and half USPS.
That always adds another day or more to delivery.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Every other time I'm expecting something FedEx, it's is delivered to a neighbor or other house with a similar address. Even worse than that, is the USPS. They used to be super reliable, but now, they are the absolute worst. As a matter of fact, I'm missing a parts kit right now because of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So has anyone had any issues with what the fedex shipping software says it is going to cost verses what they actually charge you? So I had this fedex rep calling and emailing continuously wanting me to give them an opportunity, so I finally give in and set up an account and install the shipping software, on the first and only time I used it to ship a package it tells me $38, no problem add $38 shipping to the customers order and everything looks good until a couple of days later when I see they actually charged me $50. Called the rep talked to a manager and nobody has an answer as to how this can happen, lost $12 on the only order I did with them and refuse to give them any more business until someone can explain this and tell me how they can keep it form happening again.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So has anyone had any issues with what the fedex shipping software says it is going to cost verses what they actually charge you? So I had this fedex rep calling and emailing continuously wanting me to give them an opportunity, so I finally give in and set up an account and install the shipping software, on the first and only time I used it to ship a package it tells me $38, no problem add $38 shipping to the customers order and everything looks good until a couple of days later when I see they actually charged me $50. Called the rep talked to a manager and nobody has an answer as to how this can happen, lost $12 on the only order I did with them and refuse to give them any more business until someone can explain this and tell me how they can keep it form happening again.
UPS did this to me on some ammo i just sold about two weeks ago , i actually drove in and said here it is tell me what it will cost to the address of the auction winner , they told me , i gave the guy a final talley came time to ship and magically within the span of a week it was 10 bucks more , pissed would be a understatement

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Mail-wise, living in Wyoming is like living on the dark side of the Moon. All mail coming into this state goes through the Denver hub. And I dislike Fed Ex with the intensity of a thousand suns. They consistently over-estimate delivery times, and end up being 3-4 days past their tracking dates, it doesn't matter what it is. If I have a delivery scheduled on a Wednesday, it will arrive in town on a Friday, and not get delivered until the following week.

UPS on the other hand runs like a Swiss watch around here.

Reactions: Micmacman

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you , and ups drivers are way more considerate where they leave the packages

My ups guy waits for one of my dogs at the end of the drive , they ride with the doors open , he waits so she can jump in , plop her paws on the dash and snag a ride in the truck to the house , I think he gets a bigger kick out of it than she does , shes a sweetheart with a 30 lb head , fed ex tremble in fear

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
My experience with UPS is that they damage a lot of the boxes items are shipped in, but the item inside is not damaged. FedEx delivered a package for me to the wrong address once, so far. It went to my next door neighbor. Post Office has generally been descent. PO was horrible for a while due to the China virus. Mail and packages were delayed for days for awhile.

About 6 years ago or so, I bought an item on eBay from someone in California. It went the wrong direction. It ended up in Guam. I called the Post Office about it. They said sometimes that happens. It sat in Guam for a short time then sat in Hawaii for a short time. It got back to California then made its way to me. I still left positive feedback for the seller since it was not his fault. I saw the tracking of the package and he shipped it out quickly.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Fedex is raising their rates effective January 3, averaging 5.9% increase.

·
Registered
170 Posts
From what I see both UPS & FedEx are hurting for both delivery & long haul drivers.
I know two experienced delivery guys that took long haul positions cause Covid. And it’s a better paying lower stress jobs. So I’m seeing a lot of new faces on inexperienced delivery people.
I get a few deliveries a week and usually without issue but wouldn’t you know it, when I drop $500 on an AR upper, THAT’S the one UPS doesn’t deliver. Some UPS guy in S.C. is probably plinking in his backyard with my RTB AR-22 upper. And of course, I was on a waiting list for a long time to get this one.
UPS, WHY??!!!

·
Registered
22,949 Posts
United Parcel Smashers
Fedup+Expensive
United States Prostate Stimulators

always insure and track. It's a sad day when a package from Finland can get here faster than something sent across a couple state lines. Even during the pizzademic.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
United Parcel Smashers
Fedup+Expensive
United States Prostate Stimulators

always insure and track. It's a sad day when a package from Finland can get here faster than something sent across a couple state lines. Even during the pizzademic.
United States Procrastination Service

I have ordered things from China that are much cheaper to ship from there to America than it is to ship something within America. Sometimes shipping is free, sometimes it is only a few dollars.

Every other country I have bought from costs more. Even shipping from Canada is not cheap. One Canadian company I buy from takes their product across the border themselves to Washington then ship it from there for American orders to save on shipping costs. They are located in southern British Columbia, 3 miles from the border.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts