AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My Bad... thought the Governor was the bad guy here, but it is the courts.

What else is new...

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Judges sometimes forget their Jobs. It was not to determine whether guns should be allowed at the airport or not. It was his job to explain to the City that they had no legal say so. The state law is crystal clear and nothing preempts it. What a ridiculous ruling from a legal standpoint.

·
Registered
600 Posts
KyAKGuy said:
Hopefully the voters will remember this come election time,
and let Mr. Perdue know this is his last term in office.

KyAKGuy

Huh?! Why are you saying that? Gov. Perdue is on the side of the gun owners. He is the one who just signed HB89 that expanded our carry rights in Georgia and set off the confrontation about the airport. He has even stated that he would like his wife to have the option of carrying concealed at the airport.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
OK.....There is a bit of Fact-Loss going on in this discussion.....

A federal judge denied the injunction against the airport. Thats different than a ruling. The case is still in process. At this time its still "legal" to carry at the airport and they will arrest you.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KyAKGuy said:
Hopefully the voters will remember this come election time,
and let Mr. Perdue know this is his last term in office.

KyAKGuy
while i dont know enough about purdue to make that call, purdue supports this legislation and has made it publicly known.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robpiat said:
OK.....There is a bit of Fact-Loss going on in this discussion.....

A federal judge denied the injunction against the airport. Thats different than a ruling. The case is still in process. At this time its still "legal" to carry at the airport and they will arrest you.
yeah, i just read that too. guess fox news has their heads up their ass like most media outlets... not being sarcastic either.

the judge still said its "dangerous." he had no legal grounds to do what he did. our atlanta judges are horrible.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
It's not over. Some big cities mayors seem to think SCOTUS and state legislatures just don't matter.

Looks like this situation will be ( sort of ) the State of Georgia vs the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Atlanta. The odds seem to favor Georgia.

Still , anyone who intends to play the civil disobedience card better have an all-star defense team lined up , and ready to work pro bono for a long time.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am still in favor of, "concealed means concealed."

how do they know you have a gun unless you advertise it? im not leaving my gun at home either just to go pick up a relative from the airport... get real.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Was it something I said?

:wink:

I don't think we are on the same page.

Generally speaking , civil disobedience is done as a form of protest.
Sometimes the planned act is announced in advance , people bring cameras, the whole bit.

It can be very effective , another tool in the tool box.

It proves that the person doing it is very serious about ending the stupid law he/she is protesting. Also a way to get a test case rolling thru the court system. Maybe not the best way , but one possible way.

Heller v DC did it smart , IMO. Heller found a way to get 'standing 'without getting busted.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Flame away

I live in Texas, and have had a CHL for 8 years. I carry almost every where I go. Why do you guys think it is a good idea to carry a gun in an airport? I understand that as a gun owner and advocate for the second amendment it is important to fight for every right possible, but is this particular fight (carrying in an airport) something to fight for. The Atlanta airport has a lot of security; it is the busiest airport on the east coast. I have flown in and out of this airport many times. Houston's airport is also very busy; I have never felt safer. I think to extend the law past public transportation i.e. busses and such, where at time I have felt threatened by some of the people hanging out at the park and ride late at night, could be a poor choice.

This argument does not extend to those who are picking up or dropping off a friend or family member at the airport just as a parent does not have to leave their gun at home when picking up or dropping off their children at school.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
campperrykid said:
Was it something I said?

:wink:

I don't think we are on the same page.

Generally speaking , civil disobedience is done as a form of protest.
Sometimes the planned act is announced in advance , people bring cameras, the whole bit.

It can be very effective , another tool in the tool box.

It proves that the person doing it is very serious about ending the stupid law he/she is protesting. Also a way to get a test case rolling thru the court system. Maybe not the best way , but one possible way.

Heller v DC did it smart , IMO. Heller found a way to get 'standing 'without getting busted.
i wasnt really referring to you when i said get real, but more to the people who think that me carrying off airport property is ok, but 1 foot difference and i am a criminal.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
OK , then I guess we are on the same page.

I hope Atlanta loses , big time. I don't see how they think they can win, or understand why they are fighting this.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
So will this one take 30 years to over turn? :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
Having great rights comes with great responsibilities.
Just because something is legal doesnt always mean its the best idea.

An airport is a high security zone. Is it really a good idea to have allot of people with concealed weapons. Think of all the false alarms that would have to checked on? Is the person just a CCW, or a Terrorist? How are the Police supposed to tell ?

I mean, we are talking about an airport. Not the local shopping center.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
How is the non secure portion of an airport any different than a shopping center? At this point, if I drive to pickup my brother, I can't even leave my gun in the car without it being against the law. I can carry the same gun in and check it.

Stott....Part of the problem here in GA is that State law says its ok, state law says no city can preempt it on firearms regs, and the city is still being an ass. If people don't want it so, all they have to do is tell their reps and senators and they will change it to exclude airports. This debate has nothing to do with whether guns should be allowed in airports. Its a states rights vs citys rights at this point.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Public transit(Marta) is being used more with fuel costs, but it has also been a haven for thugs to prey upon the weak and unarmed.
Marta now goes to the airport.
It has recently been determined that carrying on Marta is legal, but Atlanta has fought that too.
The airport is getting built up so it is very close to being a shopping mall. Only the gate areas are secure, with detectors and such.
Why should the shopping areas, parking lot, Marta station, etc be any different than anyplace else? No one is talking about carrying to the gates or anyplace that is secure.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
One thing I haven't seen is whether this ban is restricted to "carry" or if it restricts travelers taking guns in locked cases to check as baggage.

The TSA is weighing on whether or not to allow airports to make their own rules, so I'm sure we'll see more of this crap.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ ... -ban_N.htm

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I worked out of ATL for a year, the Airport is secure but the parking lots and surrounding city are dangerous. Myself and all of my associates, at the time, were advised to carry in the area but not through the security checkpoint. We parked in a secure parking area and were bused to the gate past security, not a problem in ATL but would have been on the return flights, so everyone left their personal weapons locked in thier vehicles.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
If they rule that the parking lots and even the street leading to the airport is airport property...well there you go you're breaking the law just driving to the terminal say to drop somebody off.
You wouldn't even have to go into the airport per se to be guilty of a crime.
That's not right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts