AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I decided to polish the fire control group today and while trying to get everything reasituated I ran into the hurtle of not remembering what the shepherds hook looked like before I took everything apart, I looked at http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval4.htm for help, but this is for WASR10's what I have is a CIA built Yugo m70ab2 so it is more like a question mark but the period is just a coil connected to the question bend... if that makes sence.....
What I ended up doing was pushing the "u" bend of the ? mark in between the bottom of the receiver and the rivet pin for the hammer, then under the rivet pin of the trigger, then pushed in front of (towards the barrel) of the selector post... was that way off? it looks like all the parts are snug together, but it doesnt look like it's supposed to be... I tried hooking the U bend around the hammer rivet and then put the selector through the hole of the . in the ? .... are there any online tutorials for this, couldnt find them... thanks guys... I guess I could shoot off a bunch of rounds and check to see if the pins are still in place :neutral: I apreciate any help/pics/tutorials, thanks

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
What you describe sounds like the Chinese L-wire. Does it look like this?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moondoggy, thanks for your reply, it's not quite, I'll try again. From the coil, it travels straight, then bends, say left by about30 degrees off of straight, then it curves back abotu 120 degrees off of straight to make what I described as the "U" I couldnt find any pictures, but thanks OH, and when I took the selector out to disasemble the hook kinda flopped out of possition and was real easy to take out from there... dont know for sure if the coil went around the selector pin because it should have held on then... not sure guys. sorry that I didnt take a picture or study it before taking it apart... learned my lesson

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
veprx4 said:
If you're going to work on the FCG again, you might consider getting a retainer plate from Red Star Arms. No more struggles with the shepherds crook. :wink: http://www.redstararms.com
I used to use retaining plates but found that I like the Chinese L wire better. It puts tension on the pins and very easy to install. It only takes me about 5 seconds longer to install one than a retaining plate. Plus they're a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Wow... I don't do it any of those ways.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I use the "WRONG" way and it has never come loose. . I don't see why it would be wrong.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Stazi said:
I use the "WRONG" way and it has never come loose. . I don't see why it would be wrong.
Because it wasn't the way the military arsenal did it. . . .

So long as it works, who cares?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmmm.... well I apreciate the diagram and the pictures, and the imput, but none of that's lining up, yes the plate is probably a good idea, yes the chinese are probably better, but, there's not such a parts store nearby, nor a gunshow till November,,, SO, is there a way to get my yugo working? OR should I just assume now that it's good enough??? It sounds like wronge ways work as long as there's tension which is what I have going on...

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
dale914 said:
hmmmm.... well I apreciate the diagram and the pictures, and the imput, but none of that's lining up, yes the plate is probably a good idea, yes the chinese are probably better, but, there's not such a parts store nearby, nor a gunshow till November,,, SO, is there a way to get my yugo working? OR should I just assume now that it's good enough??? It sounds like wronge ways work as long as there's tension which is what I have going on...
Just go to the hardware store and get yourself some 3/16" hitch pins

Their flat side allows them to be used in all positions (unlike hairpin clips).

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
If it doesn't work bend it till it does. :twisted: There are many ways to put the various wire retainers in, as long as it puts pressure into the two axis pin grooves it will keep them from walking out. I have some that go in better from the back and some that go in from the mag well area. Once you figure it out and do it a few times it will come naturally, and a pair of needlenose doesn't hurt either. I have a plate as well but find it doesn't put any pressure on my pins, it does keep them from walking out but is just loose and kinda floppy. Oh well, just shoot it till a pin walks out, and then you'll know that it isn't in there right.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
phil and nalioth, thanks, nalioth, I think I'll just go with the clips as that seems to be the easiest/fastest/ failproof. Thanks... I hate that trip to the hardware store, but oh well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts