AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
If those aren't Ted Derryberry standing racks, they're very similar.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
It would be hard for me to choose just one favorite. For quality alone, I would have to go with a late 50's Polish KbK milled. Although I have several of those kits, I have yet to build one, so I don't have a pic of a rifle to share. To agree with the OP, I find myself liking the worn out, beat up been there, done that look of the older Romanian AK's here lately. I like the Mod 63's personally. Now... on the other hand, I prefer the 5.45 round, and as far as AK's in my own collection, I like my '87 Bulgarian with Russian furniture. It now sports a laminated wood grip.

IMG_0176.JPG

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
View attachment 292713

Has to be my birthday Ak. Serial number AH1111 1967 Romanian non-G rifle. I was born November 11th 1967. :p I have to be the only person on this planet that can say this.
That is pretty dam cool. The rifle too! I can guess what rifle would be the last to sale if you ever did.

My AH1200 67 romanian md65. Only 89 off from yours!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a soft spot for Yugos and underfolders as well. This is my first and favourite AK, a simple Century made kit M70AB2. Not sure if it was a contract built or not. 20200724_105154.jpg I refinished the hand guards and craved a little treanch art into it. Since my people (Romani Gypsy) lives in that region; it's not impossible for treanch art like this exists.

Reactions: MPiKM-72

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a soft spot for Yugos and underfolders as well. This is my first and favourite AK, a simple Century made kit M70AB2. Not sure if it was a contract built or not. View attachment 292841 I refinished the hand guards and craved a little treanch art into it. Since my people (Romani Gypsy) lives in that region; it's not impossible for treanch art like this exists.

Interesting tidbit if you're a gypsy and prefer the Yugo Underfolders. Their nickname in a lot of Yugo countries is Ciganka (gypsy woman/girl). There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether that's a general term for Yugo AK's. A few people I know have called the fixed stock ones the same, but more people seem to only consider the Underfolder Yugo's as "Ciganka's" from the people I know.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Interesting tidbit if you're a gypsy and prefer the Yugo Underfolders. Their nickname in a lot of Yugo countries is Ciganka (gypsy woman/girl). There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether that's a general term for Yugo AK's. A few people I know have called the fixed stock ones the same, but more people seem to only consider the Underfolder Yugo's as "Ciganka's" from the people I know.
I saw some a post somewhere saying that, do you have any clue why they called it that?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I saw some a post somewhere saying that, do you have any clue why they called it that?
Not really sure. I heard theories on the various forums in the past but I don’t know which would make the most sense. And I never did ask relatives why that was, since I wasn’t sure they would really know either. I do know they used to be (and I think still are) one of the more desirable AK types there (Bosnia).

·
Registered
610 Posts
I guess to elaborate on the 2 theories I heard Mullo, one is that there’s more gypsies in Serbia and that as a result a Serbian gun would be a gun made by gypsies, calling Serbs gypsies in a derogatory sense. Not sure I buy that logic especially considering how many gypsies live in Romania instead. Also you figure by that logic any gun that has Yugo and external copies, would be called that if it’s the yugo variant, which is not the case.

The other and by now in my mind more likely would be how the underfolding stock is mobile and more easily “packed up”, I guess like gypsies that travel around from place to place. Also would better explain why some people don’t call the fixed stock ones also Ciganka’s. But who knows. Could be a mix too. Not really sure.

·
Super Moderator
25,619 Posts
I love them all, but I'm going to have to choose Polish on this one, because they are very well built and are serious quality.
Right Side With Gear.jpg

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Yeah, I built it and shot it once back in 2008. Sitting ever since. My kids are already fighting over it and I have 5 Ak's built in 1967 the year I was born. One for each of my kids. That one is not far behind mine. Want to sell it or trade it? Have to ask.
That is pretty dam cool. The rifle too! I can guess what rifle would be the last to sale if you ever did.

My AH1200 67 romanian md65. Only 89 off from yours!

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is a great thread, thanks 22many for starting this. I am relatively new to the AK world (6 years) compared to many on here, but already I have seen my interests change. I got into AKs via the VEPR platform and still thoroughly enjoy my VEPRs, I think because I don't feel bad making them my own, changing the furniture, doing/having permanent mods done to them, etc. From there my interested expanded into kits, stamped to be exact, and then a whole new world opened up for me. Each country is so unique. Then about 18 months ago, I was bit by the milled bug, and started searching for at least one milled variety from each country. My collection is pretty much complete now...I hope, my wallet cannot withstand much more...

I think right now, of my built AKs, which are not many from my kits sadly, as the Army keeps me on the move and decided to relocate me last year to the heart of evil, NYC, so everything is on hold until at least the summer of 22. I think I will go with my fixed Russian 1954 T2. I always loved the unique clubfoot design. For favorite country, its a tie betwen East German and Romanian, there are just so many unique variations out there.
T2 R.JPG 1. FULL VEPR Collection.JPG

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Spent a lot of time thinking about this since the thread was started. Having been a collector for over 30 years, it is really hard to say I have one favorite, so I will just say I really like my SAR-3 that I made to look exactly like an AK-74,

then there is the fixed and underfolder Clayco Imports that are special in their own right. The several Poly Tech versions that I spent so much time on the phone with the Keng family learning about. Or the Long barrel 84S-1 that I snagged before ATF found out Canada was shipping rifles to the land of shall not be infringed.

Then there is my SAR-1 that has fired over 14,000 rounds and still looks new, the WASR-10 that I bought for my daugher 20 years ago that she painted in a very patriotic red white and blue.

Thanks to all that have posted pictures.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i've only owned one AK47, purchased new and it's a Bulgarian SA93 milled receiver, to me it's the best of the best as it's a full on military AK47 but for it being a semi-auto only and the wood it comes with to be able to get it in the country as a sporting rifle. Mr. K even said next to the russian AK47's these are the closet to the ones he made. so that says enough for me to think i have one of the best ones next to russian bulit ones. read up on them and you to will see why their so good.

also had i known then what i found out in late years i'd left it as it was for the value they bring now, but i didn't so made changes that would make some of you cry and put a folding stock on it but the rest, main part is as it was made and i never plan on selling it anyway.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
21 - 40 of 47 Posts