AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all have favorite AK’s. The usual members that hang here long enough you can get a read for their favorite AK’s. While i own many AK’s i always come back to my romanians. Why? I dont know. Guess its the draw to the used and abused factor. Or maybe its the angle of the stock in a MD65 and a reverse dong that feels so good. At any rate, they are my favorite.

So beings how we have some newer members and order members with preference changes, whats your favorite AK?

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Good topic. I don't know how many times I've either tried to put a finger on my "favorite" country, or type, or even specific rifle... I might give a different answer next week to any of these, and I can't give a decent explanation for my choices, but country-wise, I'll have to say DDR; type-wise (speaking broadly), I'd have to split between early AKMs and AK74 variants; individual rifle, probably the '85 MPiKM bringback from Iraq due to its accuracy and oozing history.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yugo’s are still my personal favorite of the AK’s I’ve had experience with, especially fixed stock ones.

I haven’t had too much hands on with milled ones yet, to know if I prefer them over the stamped ones, but I imagine a fixed stock milled M70 of either variety would be my top choice due to possibly being even more durable.

I would say the earlier style milled M70 (“M64”) would be my top choice due to the bolt hold open feature, but on the flip side the press-in barrel of the later milled style would be easier to replace.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
Yugoslavian M95A would be mine. No pics at the moment as she’s with the good Doctor Chris Butler. I pulled it out of the safe in May to find a horrible amount of rust like it had been laying in water instead of a safe. Considering the entire rifle was painted I couldn’t tell you how that came to be.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I too have a fascination for the Romanian’s but lately I’ve been playing with my Yugo sbr M92 underfolder more.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Tough one, but I'm just drawn to my AMD65 SBR frequently. And also my Tantal. It just seems like the smoothest, softest shooter I have, even with the wire stock.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I'm kind of with 22many on the Romanians. I got frustrated trying to get Russian and Egyptian kit builds "perfect" - still no one making correct Tula and Egyptian mag well dimples.

I never get tired of my Draco SBR clone of a 1994 Md65 Short Rifle.

Older photo. I've obtained the correct sight leaf and muzzle device since.

How it looks now. I'm always mindful of scratching up that late production amber dong.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The Valmet M76 (5.56 model) is probably my favorite AKM to look at because of the odd tube folder stock, but my AK74 rifles get the most range time so I guess they are my favorite to shoot. I guess I'd have to pick the SGL31-68 over the Bulgarian models since it's Russian made. My 5.56 Galil 386 would be a very close second for favorite at the range. It has a nice solid feel but is a bit heavy compared to the SGL31-68.

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_6249.JPG

close second at the range...
IMG_3761.JPG

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Hard to tell because I have a bunch of AK's that Ive never even shot, they could become my favorite but I dunno. My Hungarian AK-55 reweld is up there but it still needs a proper blue job.

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Didnt expect quite the diverse replies. I like it!

Love the pics too!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts