AK Rifles banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The only reason I am putting together an XM177 clone is because I can't find a 20 inch pencil barrel and I have an 11.5 barrel on hand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Was playing around with the rear sight parts earlier, and ended up spending an hour on the floor looking for the detent pin.....My wife found it, stuck it to painters tape and told me to leave it alone, until I install it.

It was comical, there I am crawling around on the floor, first the Husky, and then the Malamute showed up, then the darn cat decided to show up and join in on the floor staring contest. Almost an hour later my wife walks in asks what's going on, 5 minutes later she goes is this it.

In my defense I went into a coughing fit (From the crud) and dropped it.......That's how it was lost! By the end of the week, I'll have everything on hand in front of me short of the barrel, A1 FSB and the (Triangle) handguard cap, all which is with a buddy that is hooking me up.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
139 Posts
Was playing around with the rear sight parts earlier, and ended up spending an hour on the floor looking for the detent pin.....My wife found it, stuck it to painters tape and told me to leave it alone, until I install it.

It was comical, there I am crawling around on the floor, first the Husky, and then the Malamute showed up, then the darn cat decided to show up and join in on the floor staring contest. Almost an hour later my wife walks in asks what's going on, 5 minutes later she goes is this it.

In my defense I went into a coughing fit (From the crud) and dropped it.......That's how it was lost! By the end of the week, I'll have everything on hand in front of me short of the barrel, A1 FSB and the (Triangle) handguard cap, all which is with a buddy that is hooking me up.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
This what they make magnets for..... I have a 250lb magnet for treasure hunting(magnet fishing).
Works great for finding small metal parts. The only thing I found with it was a rusty fish hook...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This what they make magnets for..... I have a 250lb magnet for treasure hunting(magnet fishing).
Works great for finding small metal parts. The only thing I found with it was a rusty fish hook...
True, but I have an ICD, and I'm not suppose to play with big magnets anymore.......So I have to be careful!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have a magnet I use to pick up M27 ammo links at the range that works great for fishing for dropped metal parts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well my C marked pistol grip arrived today.

20210628_131306.jpg

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Air Force guns from the 80s to 2000s were true mixmasters. That's what makes them fun. The Air Force was still using original slab lowers on rebuilt A2s right up until 10 years ago. It wasn't unheard of to see Air Guard units with GUU-5/P carbines on deployment. The original A1 buttstocks are getting harder to find as many people putting retros together dont like the matte plastic look. I got mine from Sarco.
Do you know what slings the Air Force was using in 80s-90s on our 604s? Were we using the black silent slings, or were we still using the green Vietnam era/style slings or a combo of above?

Never saw a sling on the rifles we used at CATM, the only time I saw slings besides on the ones issued to the "Sky-Cops" was when I had to guard our aircrew weapons pallet. Try as I may, can't remember what the darn slings looked like at all.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
139 Posts
Keep in mind back in the late 90's Clinton was destroying a lot of small arms. The would have contractors come in and destroy the guns. Some bases let the contractors have the uppers and stocks, small parts off of the receivers. Then they would torch cut the receiver into scrap. Back in 2005 at the beginning of the retro craze, there was a guy selling complete uppers on AR15.com for $300 each. He said most were exc - LN. They were....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Type D buttstock is slated to be here tomorrow.....So I guess I'll attempt to change it and the pistol grip out to the A1 soon.

The rest of the small parts and the roll pin punches will be here Saturday, so I can install the A1 rear sight. That will make the entire back end built, and ready for the barrel.

I have the weld spring, snap ring, barrel nut, gas tube, flash hider lock washer, 3 prong flash hider, A1 style handguard slip ring, triangle handguards on hand.

Lacking at this point, barrel (In work), triangle handguard cap (In work), complete FSB (In work).

Need to get a sling and bayonet. She's closer to getting done.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Woo hoo the Type D buttstock arrived today, and the screw will be in tomorrow. Without the barrel I'm at $734.65 right now.....Plus if I decide to sell the A2 buttstock and pistol grip, I'll recoup a few bucks......So not too bad!

20210702_150500.jpg

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The great AR barrel shortage of 2021 is keeping me from going any further. NO-ONE has 20 inch pencil barrels with FSB installed in 223/556. Hell can't find pencil barrels without FSB either, not that I want to go that route. The few barrels I can find on the secondary market are pretty damn pricey as they are colt take-offs.

As I said previously, I'm at $734.65 right now.....So not too bad and I should be able to come in under $1,000.00 when done, and have extra parts left over. IE A2 buttstock, A2 pistol grip, barrel nut, which I could sell to recoup some money, or keep as spares or for a future build (Not that I plan on one)......LOL!

Plus my sciatica is acting up, I managed to pinch my sciatic nerve last Tuesday, and haven't been able to get it un-pinched since. So 6 days of excruciating pain so far!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
139 Posts
The great AR barrel shortage of 2021 is keeping me from going any further. NO-ONE has 20 inch pencil barrels with FSB installed in 223/556. Hell can't find pencil barrels without FSB either, not that I want to go that route. The few barrels I can find on the secondary market are pretty damn pricey as they are colt take-offs.

As I said previously, I'm at $734.65 right now.....So not too bad and I should be able to come in under $1,000.00 when done, and have extra parts left over. IE A2 buttstock, A2 pistol grip, barrel nut, which I could sell to recoup some money, or keep as spares or for a future build (Not that I plan on one)......LOL!

Plus my sciatica is acting up, I managed to pinch my sciatic nerve last Tuesday, and haven't been able to get it un-pinched since. So 6 days of excruciating pain so far!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Go see a Lower back Orthopedic doctor and see if he will give you a Lidocaine injection into the pain area. Also lay on your back and pull one knee to your chest and hold for 5 seconds. The repeat for the other side side does this 3x times. It should help relieve the pain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Go see a Lower back Orthopedic doctor and see if he will give you a Lidocaine injection into the pain area. Also lay on your back and pull one knee to your chest and hold for 5 seconds. The repeat for the other side side does this 3x times. It should help relieve the pain.
I was scheduled to start injections the day after I pinched it, but had to reschedule due to being sick. I tried the stretching techniques my Neurologist has highlighted for me, but didn't work. Tried taking a hot shower to the point I looked like a cooked lobster, and tried the stretching techniques again with no luck. As soon as my body cooled off, it locked right back up, had to call for CINC Household to help me get my carcass off the ground.

October 2019, I had SI Joint Fusion on that side and have gone long periods between flare-ups since and when it did act it was minor. So when this happened it caught me off guard, more so due to the way it happened. I was putting on a pair of pants and when I lifted my foot to step in, it happened. Felt like a hot poker stabbed me in the lower back, arse cheek, hip, and knee all at once. Took me 30 minutes to just somewhat stand up straight.

My pain meds, have been helping to reduce the pain, but it will wake me up if I try and roll in my sleep. 23 years in the Air Force wasn't kind to my body that is for sure, was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease back in 2013 (Compressed and Herniated Discs and Bone Spurs). Just part of the aging process I guess, if i had known this when I was young, I wouldn't have grown up.....LOL!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was scheduled to start injections the day after I pinched it, but had to reschedule due to being sick. I tried the stretching techniques my Neurologist has highlighted for me, but didn't work. Tried taking a hot shower to the point I looked like a cooked lobster, and tried the stretching techniques again with no luck. As soon as my body cooled off, it locked right back up, had to call for CINC Household to help me get my carcass off the ground.

October 2019, I had SI Joint Fusion on that side and have gone long periods between flare-ups since and when it did act it was minor. So when this happened it caught me off guard, more so due to the way it happened. I was putting on a pair of pants and when I lifted my foot to step in, it happened. Felt like a hot poker stabbed me in the lower back, arse cheek, hip, and knee all at once. Took me 30 minutes to just somewhat stand up straight.

My pain meds, have been helping to reduce the pain, but it will wake me up if I try and roll in my sleep. 23 years in the Air Force wasn't kind to my body that is for sure, was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease back in 2013 (Compressed and Herniated Discs and Bone Spurs). Just part of the aging process I guess, if i had known this when I was young, I wouldn't have grown up.....LOL!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Find a Medical Supply store and buy a Hydroculator Pad (rectangle one) boil then simmer it in a large pot for 20 minutes. Wrap in a towel and put on your lower back. If you went to a PT they would do this for the first 15 min. Try this for 5 straight days. Try 2 Extra-Strength Tylenol instead of narcotic pain killers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got a pencil/lightweight barrel with FSB installed inbound.....All I need to get is the forward sling swivel and rivet, and the front A1 sight post, spring, and detent (Which I found them already). Then it will be time to put the AR puzzle together.

I'll be getting the green (M1, M14) style sling along with a bayonet for it.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Question time......When installing the A1 front sight post, how far should it be screwed in on average? Like should the post top be level with the sight wings, or level with the bend in the wings etc....?

I understand that once it's at the range I'll have to adjust everything to zero it. Just don't want to bottom it out and have to run it way up if that makes sense!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
139 Posts
Question time......When installing the A1 front sight post, how far should it be screwed in on average? Like should the post top be level with the sight wings, or level with the bend in the wings etc....?

I understand that once it's at the range I'll have to adjust everything to zero it. Just don't want to bottom it out and have to run it way up if that makes sense!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
I just screw the Front Sight Post down so it is even with the front sight base (not all the way down).
Using a front sight tool makes it easier to turn it up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Barrel showed up tonight (at 2015), awaiting the sling, front sling swivel, and A1 front sight post, spring and detent to show up.. This is what a AR puzzle looks like when all the parts start showing up. Basically ready to be assembled, the little parts can be dealt with after the barrel and 3 prong flash hider are installed. Starting to feel like a kid on Christmas Eve...!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Sorry for the lack of updates and progress on this, my sciatica is kicking my butt bad. Saw my Neurologist today, he ordered a new CT Scan, as I'm not only having lumbar issues, but also my right arm goes numb and it feels like electricity is running through it a times.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

21 - 40 of 44 Posts