AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some years back (2017) I picked up a Bushmaster AR15 in the A2 configuration, and was happy with it. Recently I've gotten nostalgic and wanted an example like I carried early in my career, that started me on the pistol want also.

Weapons I carried while in the USAF 86-08, I also qualified on the Shotgun during Desert Storm only because my Aircrews carried them, and but I never carried one.

M16 604 86-96, building a copy of one
M16A2 96-08, have a copy of one
S&W M15-3 86-88, looking for one
Beretta M9 88-08, have M9 Commercial inbound

So just last week I was on GB looking for other rifle parts, and looked out of curiosity and found a slick side upper (No forward assist, no shell deflector). Hit the BIN button and started my build.

I have a Colt A1 pistol grip inbound, have a buddy that is hooking me up with a Colt made pencil barrel, and FSB. The barrel is marked C MP B, forgot to ask him the what the twist rate is. The only part I'm lacking is the handguard ring, I apparently either deleted or failed to add it to my cart.....Idiot.

Oh and the D Type buttstock. But then again the M16s I carried before we went to the M16A2 were some serious MUTTS. Some had AUTO capabilities, some had AUTO scratched out, and BURST EPed above it, or had AUTO covered in metal/foil tape with BURST on it, and some had A2 lowers I'm assuming as they were never AUTO capable, but the uppers were slick sided, and a mixture of triangular and round handguards.

So all I have left to do, is get with another buddy who is going to install the barrel, oh and I need to install the A1 style rear sight. She's slowly coming together, and won't be 100% accurate, but to the uninitiated they won't know, besides she'll look the part.

Got a small pad ejection port cover, triangular handguards, A1 rear sight, slick side upper, 3 prong flash hider, pencil barrel, A1 pistol grip (Not here yet).

So here's some pictures of the AR puzzle.

20210614_161649.jpg

20210614_161733.jpg

20210614_161755.jpg

20210614_225953.jpg

20210615_160519.jpg

20210615_160528.jpg

20210617_141624.jpg

20210617_143417.jpg

20210617_160111.jpg

20210617_160413.jpg

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been talking about doing it for a few years, finding the upper, just made it possible. Besides my wife said, with the upper, I didn't have an excuse to put it off anymore.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Looks great. Since you're going to all the trouble to build as close as possible.
Not endorsing this place, just to show you that there's places you can get the bcg without serrations for the forward assist. Brownells used to sell as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great. Since you're going to all the trouble to build as close as possible.
Not endorsing this place, just to show you that there's places you can get the bcg without serrations for the forward assist. Brownells used to sell as well.
I went back and forth with that dilemma. In the 80s and 90s before we went to the M16A2, the rifles I used had the bolts with the serrations.

I've been going back and forth as to getting a non-serrated one, so it could look original and have one with serrations so I can make it look period for my time in, by changing the bolts.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
139 Posts
The barrel twist rate would be 1/12 for the 55gr bullet.
Early 601's used 1/14 rate until they switched to the 1/12 twist.
The M16A2 is when they switched to the 1/7 twist rate.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Holy snot, I was looking the A1 rear sight kit over, the detent pin and roll pin are small.....I was like great I'm going to lose these things.

Ordered a roll pin punch for the roll pin, just so I don't destroy it trying to install it, or mar up the upper.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The barrel twist rate would be 1/12 for the 55gr bullet.
Early 601's used 1/14 rate until they switched to the 1/12 twist.
The M16A2 is when they switched to the 1/7 twist rate.....
True, hence why I should have asked him what the twist on the pencil barrel he has is.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
907 Posts
Air Force guns from the 80s to 2000s were true mixmasters. That's what makes them fun. The Air Force was still using original slab lowers on rebuilt A2s right up until 10 years ago. It wasn't unheard of to see Air Guard units with GUU-5/P carbines on deployment. The original A1 buttstocks are getting harder to find as many people putting retros together dont like the matte plastic look. I got mine from Sarco.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Air Force guns from the 80s to 2000s were true mixmasters. That's what makes them fun. The Air Force was still using original slab lowers on rebuilt A2s right up until 10 years ago. It wasn't unheard of to see Air Guard units with GUU-5/P carbines on deployment. The original A1 buttstocks are getting harder to find as many people putting retros together dont like the matte plastic look. I got mine from Sarco.
So true.....While I didn't pay attention to manufacturers while in, I do remember how cobbled together some of the range guns were. One ugly handguard, one nice one, definite mismatch in color between the upper and lower, mixture of bolts. Sort of reminds me of how the RC Mausers are......

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice looking rifle well done.
I put together a 601 clone a few years back and really enjoy shooting it and the other retro rifles I have made.
Wow, I really like how yours came out. Hope mine looks half as nice when it's done.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I am sure it will look just fine.
Here is another retro one I have and currently have an XM 177 clone project in the works.
Another fine example. I'm getting more excited towards completing mine. On a standstill right now, waiting to meet up for the barrel, plus I'm fighting a cold that is kicking my tail.

Opinion/Question time: Been looking at the Type D buttstocks, there are the reproduction ones, and the original ones. Obviously the reproduction ones look new, a plus for the most part. The original ones look well abused (for good reason), a detractor if everything else looks new like.

If I chose to refinish an original one, how would go about that?

I know the reproduction handguards I got are pretty good (Fit, quality, etc). How is the quality of the reproduction buttstocks good/bad or stay away?

The barrel that I've been offered (A deal an idiot would turn down), has finish wear on the exposed section (Everything else is almost pristine). Other than a complete refinish is there anything I can do to clean up the look of the exposed part (Between the FSB and flash hider)?

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If its going to be a retro rifle I see no reason to make it look pristine.
Most actual military rifles are far from pristine.
All mine so far I have used the real furniture from the kit just cleaned up a little.
Sure they have wear marks and maybe a small chip here and there.
Its all a part of the patina.
Here was an A1 upper I got in a kit and it looked like an armorer had shot some paint on it.Its far from perfect but then again it doesn't need to be.
Its a close match to the Anderson lower its sitting on temporarily.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Got my A1 pistol grip inbound, son told me it shipped. I have a Type D stock inbound, along with the handguard slip ring I forgot to order, plus the short buttstock screw and the roll pin punches.

The only thing I need to do is catch up with my buddy get the pencil barrel and FSB and the puzzle will be ready to wrap up.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Very nice builds and in progress builds. Congrats.

I've been on the path of building a M16/AR clone of what my Dad carried along with what I carried some years latter. This panic has really put a cramp in finding reasonable priced correct parts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts