AK Rifles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need fast help as I'm going to rent a 110 mig if it's OK to use to weld in my rails. cost to rent : $25 ! lol

I think I need to drill holes in my receiver for where the welds will be. Do I want to also drill holes in the rails in the same spots?

I know I need to clamp then down ect. anything else ??

· Registered
55 Posts
Re: Fast help please - Welding in Rails with 110 Mig welder

If your rental place has the option of gas sheilded, do go that route.

I have done it a couple times and they did fine. I did a Marsh Hawk pre-bent 80% receiver and one Tapco flat. The Marsh Hawk is a thicker receiver, so I drilled the holes bigger to get a good weld. But on the Tapco flat I did drill 3/16" holes though the RECEIVER ONLY and they did great!

I happen to have a special "spot" welding tip for mine...

It works great...you park it directly above the holes...and 1- 1000, 2-1000, 3 and your done...I don't finish the last "1000"

· Registered
2,503 Posts

I have done the same as CapC wrote, with no problem.

Practice on a receiver stub first if possible.

Check the inside for good penetration discoloration.

· Banned
708 Posts

Don;t try and harden the rail first though....It is a bitch to get the weld to stick to the rail.

· Registered
86 Posts

Practice with scrap first, or your first receiver will be scrap. Like Captn C said, go with the sheild gas if avalible (25/75 CO2/Argon or even straight CO2 if your machine wil give you a good enough arc)

Make sure you can clearly see the weld puddle to ensure you have full penetration. Drill through only 1 layer of material and start the puddle in the middle of the hole then flow towards the outer layer or the material the
hole was drilled through to begin with. If your only option is flux core W/O sheild gas, your reallly gonna need to practice. The flux material in the wire makes it hard to see the weld, it floats on top to sheild the weld from contamination. Remember, if your machine is dialed and has a good ground you'll hear it sizzle like bacon in a skillet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.