AK Rifles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Arsenal 47. Lancaster 74. PSL x 54R. PSA 47.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here, joined about 11 minutes ago, and this looks like the correct forum for some information, let me know if not. I did a search, found a few mentions of this thing:

Which I've had a hankering to build ever since I first found it in the game.

I see a cheek weld problem right off the bat. I'll also be leaving my safety lever on the right side...

I've located a close-enough shovel handle. Most are stamped and bent, even from back in the day (Fallout is based around 1950) and this thing looks like it was forged and machined.

The barrel/gas block/front sight are weird, I'll go "close enough" with those too.

How about that pistol grip, best I can tell that might be something from the very first milled AKs in the 40s, but I'm not sure. I'd be ok with anything made from wood, I can re-shape it and add a fake cross-bolt.

How about that lower handguard? I've come across some that are close, but not quite that curve-to-bulge profile.

Anyone familiar with paint know how I could achieve this specific splotchiness?

I'll be building this from a PSA so as not to ruin anything from across the sea.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's awesome. I'm stealing that belt-sling idea for sure. Probably won't be forging my own receiver though.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well, the "Handmade Assault Rifle" from the Fallout games main issue compared to an AK is that it is mirrored from a real AK. Even the bolt carrier is mirrored with the charging handle being on the left, it even ejects to the left too. There is also a complete lack of rivets, which I just suspect is an error on Bethesda's part. I mean, you could weld the trunnions in instead, but that's just extra work. The front handguard kinda looks like an RPK handguard in profile.

Aside from that, it is just a normal AKM, if one that is definitely beat to hell. If you want to recreate the Problem Solver, just take your shovel and replace the buttstock with it. Should be simple to make it attach to a normal rear trunnion. The pistol grip definitely seems based on a Type 1 AK grip that attached to a tab extending from the receiver instead of screwing into a retaining block. Finally, just find the nastiest wooden furniture you can. Or just leave a nice new set outside over a winter so it gets nice and weathered.

As for the paint, just get some rattle cans of yellow, green, and purple.

It seems to be Yellow first, then the green. Both sprayed from maybe a couple feet. Then the purple applied last. Obviously the furniture was left on when it was sprayed. Spray paint won't adhere very well, so it will flak off as time goes on which will give it the eventual look it has in the game, though over time it will wear even more.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Op, the grip you asked about which is about the only authentic thing about that rifle, is from a Russian T1. Wood panels are hard to come by, but bakelite ones are easier. I actually have a few available if you want a set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I figured that grip would be hard to find if it's from the earliest AKs. Appreciate the offer Albert, but I'll probably just modify an existing wood grip for the look if not the function. Missed a basic one on GB the other day and they won't let me contact the seller since he has no other items for sale. I'll get the shovel handle inbound and start there, plus put a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it doesn't need to go back for any work. Hate to do all this just to find out it eats it's rails or bolt or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a pretty cool retro kit. My shovel handle disappeared from ebay, so I'm at square one. Plenty that aren't quite right, hoping to find that perfect antique though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found my shovel handle in Denver today, lucked out and over paid. Question about the PSA AK though, how many rounds should I put through it to make sure it doesn't eat itself or break the bolt or something? Rather break/fix before I do all this crazy stuff.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Registered
553 Posts
I wouldn't say there is a specific round count, but if you have the ability I would check the headspace and then shoot a few hundred rounds and look for significant change in headspace and deformation or cracking on the bolt and locking lugs.

Just one thing to consider: I was also inspired to build one but then decided to build it out of a bicycle (mainly because this has been done many times now and I personally wanted something more unique). I like it as a build but it doesn't have a heavy firing schedule (since its really just a novelty item) so if it were me I wouldn't worry so much about is it going to hold up to 15,000 rounds or not. Please make your own choices, thats just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
So how much did you pay for the hay fork?

The bonus is that you now have the makings of a billy club and a 7 tine bayonet, good steel in them thar forks, make a knife or hatchet out of the furrel

They say Aks lead to killing,,,,but the reality is mostly crafting

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good point Napalm, I don't shoot my other three as much as I'd like, and I expect this one will be tough to shoot anyway with the stock, so it'll probably end up being an occasional run toy at the range. I'll run a box through each mag to make sure they feed and call it good. Only way I'm aware of to check headspace is with go/no go gauges, and I don't have a set nor know anyone who does.

Paid 25 bones for the pitch fork, the tines are completely blunted, the handle and all other metal parts are wiggly and in danger of falling off and the wood is borderline petrified. Probably get another old timey handle for it, snug it up as best I can and give it to my mom as a wall hanger, she likes stuff like this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I put 80 rounds through the PSA today, ran like a top and the bullets went where I sent them after fiddling with the front sight. I took about 4 seconds to pop the bolt out and the receiver wasn't full of parts and pieces, but I need to give it a good cleaning and see if anything is amiss. What should I be looking for if it's planning on eating itself?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Gave her a good cleaning today and everything looks to be in order. Internal rails barely have finish wear, bolt and carrier look normal, nothing weird came out of the barrel. Also sourced a grip from here, a handguard from GB and got the shovel handle cut down and ready for modifications. Have to travel to IL soon for a wedding, so any more work will be on hold for a bit. I need to figure out a way to darken the handguard, and then roughen it and the grip up, someone suggested rubbing them on a cinder block.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Got the shovel handle crammed in there, but I lost my screws somewhere, need to go to the hardware store.

Hand tool Wood Guitar accessory Tool Metalworking hand tool

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got some wood stain coming to try and match the grip and handguard to the shovel. I did everything with a swiss army knife, a cinder block and a chisel. Apocalypse style.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Hardwood

1 - 18 of 18 Posts