AK Rifles banner

FAL or Daewoo or Saiga 308?

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Prototype Services 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying my next semi auto rifle.

I know of a Daewoo for around 599 or 699 (not sure what) but its that gas operated AR style 223 rifle (dr200?). I also know of a FAL (a parts kit gun built on a Enterprise receiver, SA58?) for 700. And lastly a Saiga 308, either a unconverted stocker for around 500 or a converted model for 850 at my dealer (has scope too) .

The Daewoo is beautiful, the Saiga is very nice except the scope is well used, the FAL has a nice receiver with the rest of the parts being well used finish wise.

What would you choose? Oh yeah, another dealer has a CETME (plastic furniture, century build) for 450. Not sure if I should even consider that one or not.

Pictures:

See less See more
#3 ·
A DR200 daewoo for $600 is an OK price, the DR200 is the one with the thumbhole stock, if it is converted than it is a good price. If the DAEWOO is a K2, K1A1, MAX II then it is a steal, get it, will no don't buy it and tell me who has it.

The FAL, I am not too keen on the enterprise reciever, and it depends on who built it, it could be a jam-o-matic if built wrong. personally I think $750 is too much for a kit gun on an enterprise reciever. Also, it looks like the STG58 parts were not refinished a sure sign it was a kitchen table build, personally I would pass. Right now 308 rifles aren't selling to well and you can get a good FAL for that price or even a PTR for just a little more (around 900)

Saiga, I really don't know that much about them.

#7 ·
comparing the Daewoo and FAL is like comparing apples and oranges! The Daewoo is a great choice for a 5.56 rifle - some parts interchange w/AR15-M16 - a big plus. The FAL is a great 7.62 rifle - parts can still be found at a fairly good price - but are starting to get harder to locate. Mags for both rifles are cheap and common. The Saiga probably has the edge in the dependability department being AK based - but the "big gun" AK parts (bolts, carriers - other parts "unique" to the 7.62) are just not as common, and high cap mags are pricey.

#10 ·
You guys are all seeing my dilemma. I want a 308 semi auto rifle. But I also really like the Woo, gas operated 223. I like the Saiga because its 308 and AK based but then again, I kind of what something different.

If the fal was mint, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

Ohhh, decisions, decisions.

#12 ·
the Daewoo would probably be the better choice at this point in time as .308 ammo is harder to find, and alot more expensive. I am partial to the .308 myself - and own both inch and metric FALs, M1A, and Rem. 700PSS. I would question whether the Saiga would be accurate enough at ".308 distance" though (you can get a free floating handguard for the FAL). Saiga would be more reliable, but the point of the .308 IMO is the distance advantage! Another consideration is the rate of twist in the Daewoo - 1in12 works for 55gr., but you would need a 1in9 or faster to shoot SS109 (62gr.). My AR15 is set up for shooting service rifle matches, and has a 1in7 twist to be able to shoot 80gr. Sierra MK's (these must be single loaded).Or you could take the logical option - buy the WOO and save enough money on ammo to buy a .308 - then you'll be truly happy!

#15 ·
FAL's are sweet rifles,but it kind of depends on the receiver and parts involved im not to keen on the enterprise receivers although I understand they worked out most of the problems,if it was an imbel with a nice cond STG58 kit I would go for it.

the Daewoo is not to common and would be a nice addition to the AR collection if you already have an AR and mags.
hell get the Daewoo and save for a .308

just my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.