AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to purchase an FAL as my next rifle acquisition. I have a limited budget, it must be less than 1K and preferably in the $800- $900 range. I am not looking at this as a collector would, more from a practical point of view. In other words, I am interested in reliability and accuracy more than collectibility, even though i know this is not going to be a plinker due to the cost of ammo.

First, does anyone have experience with this particular rifle at Atlantic? http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/program ... Prodid=479
I would be happy to get some opinions.

I went to the local gun show this weekend and saw a few FAL's, all by Century. They seemed high priced compared to what I can find them for on the internet. I know Century does not have the greatest rep on their AK builds, I assume the same holds true for their FAL's?

Lastly, if anyone can point me to some other places online to buy a decent FAL, please let me know. The local shops only have FAL's out of my price range.

Any other advice is welcome too.

Thanks, guys.

joedog

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We have sold several of the FAL Imbel Kit rifles they are built for us by Entrprise Arms and out of 50 pls unit we have only had one issue . We also carry the DSA line , they are the best but do cost more , we would suggest avoiding any of the Century FAL builds.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Stay away from anything with a HESSE reciever. Mine was a build by IAI on an Imbel reciever with Imbel parts kit and runs great. It's called M-444 if you can find one they are great shooting rifles.

Listen to Blaine about the century guns they can be hit or miss as far as quality goes.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I own one of the Hit it out of the ball park Century R1A1's and LOVE it.

I must be lucky??

The gun is highly accurate and is a great piece to shoot. It has zero problems and runs like a champ.

Your going to hate that .308 pricing will keep you to shooting about 20 rounds before you begin to cry. . .

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
what's the deal with the whole metric/standard thing? the metric ones are a little more prized right? are the ones offered by atlantic metric?

i'm kinda tempted by these things... would make a decent game rifle too with a small mag. :cool:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I MUCH prefer the Inch rifles. The various metric versions are much more common, and also more popular.
If you join the FALFiles, and post a WTB over there, you may find a deal on a nice FAL. There are quite a few 'smiths over there too who can build one to your specs.
I like Entreprise receivers, so I bet their builds are nice too. DSA makes good stuff as well. Some guys have had good luck with Century and Hesse builds too. They can all be made to work.
Start stocking up on mags and ammo!!!!!!! :dance:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
FALs have recently sparked my interest as well. The thing that gets to me is it seems like most of the pre built rifles out there have mixed up parts, and I'm not yet at the level where I can tell what furniture goes to what variant like on a lot of AK stuff.

Just like how I need my AKs, I'd want for the FALs I eventually own to be as correct as possible with the proper receiver used, etc. minus the dumbass BS compliance parts.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
i've been interested in FAL's since i first read about them on surplusrifle.com.

accurate, reliable, hard hitting, sweet looking.

plus i can reload for it. :dance:

i may have to pick one up.......

i want a masada too...
maybe if magpul hires me i'll get that for cheap :twisted:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I built mine on an Entreprise receiver with a new DSA barrel, using an Imbel parts kit. I have been more than happy with it.

You could easily build a rifle in a similar configuration well within the budget, even with the price of kits these days.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Too bad the golden days of FALs are long past too.

FALs have been around since early '50s, have been sold and rebuilt by many countries. It is common for them to be mismatched when in use.
Some builders/collectors strive to mismatch and copy ugly camo, etc.
Lots of variations. Folding stock paras, Heavy barrels, rifles, short-gas carbines, etc.
:dance:

·
Super Moderator
25,842 Posts
skyugo said:
what's the deal with the whole metric/standard thing? the metric ones are a little more prized right? are the ones offered by atlantic metric?

i'm kinda tempted by these things... would make a decent game rifle too with a small mag. :cool:
I believe that inch pattern rifles will take metric as well as inch mags, but metric will only accept metric mags.
There are still TONS of parts out there for metric though, so you might want to consider that route.

If the build is a good one, an Imbel should be ok. I"d go for the DSA if you can come up with the money. Great rifles when built on good recievers by a reputable smith.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
JoeMomma said:
skyugo said:

I believe that inch pattern rifles will take metric as well as inch mags, but metric will only accept metric mags.
There are still TONS of parts out there for metric though, so you might want to consider that route.

If the build is a good one, an Imbel should be ok. I"d go for the DSA if you can come up with the money. Great rifles when built on good recievers by a reputable smith.
Yup. If you can save your pennies, I'd go with the DSA. If'n you have to have it NOW, and can afford the Enterprise build from Blaine, he'll back it up if something isn't right.

The FAL is my all time favorite battle rifle, and I've owned or shot just about all of them.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
All my friends had FALs, so I began purchasing the parts back when the unissued/new parts were plentiful and cheap (mid 90s), Imbel receiver, mostly Imbel parts, NOS from various distributors, and DSA compliance parts. But still, for some reason, at the time it just didn't "do it for me," so I never got around to building the thing. After years of nagging and ball-breaking from friends, I finally got around to having the thing built about 3-4 years ago. God only knows why I waited soooo long - I love this thing. Accurate, well balanced, easy to strip, reliable as hell, ergos are compatible for lefty-retards like me... Is it heavy - yeah, but so what, it just helps absorb some of the recoil. I REALLY love my M1A, but my FAL is a VERY close second.

Only downfall - current price of 7.62

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Personally If I had the money I would purchase one of the DSA Alloy lower short gas system para carbines. They are only a few ounces more than most AR's and are sweet little guns.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Horse said:
Personally If I had the money I would purchase one of the DSA Alloy lower short gas system para carbines. They are only a few ounces more than most AR's and are sweet little guns.
the upper is still 4140 steel right?

might be a cool way to go... carbines are always fun...

though if i get an FAL (ok fine, WHEN i get an FAL) it'll be more of a distance gun. the AR remains my CQB carbine. so i'm thinking i'll stick with a 20"+ barrel.

not like i've got the cash at the moment anyway.... i'll figure it out...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
yes the upper is still steel.

Thats the exact same reason I left mine in its long battle rifle glory.
And how I justified buying a 105 clone as I could have a carbine too :grin:

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have built and finished over 50 Fals over the past 10 years . I have also shot many thousands of rounds out of them. I also own a NIB Factory FN Belgium Fal 50:00 [ Fullsize], Imbel Para , Aussie Inch L1a1 on a Enterprise receiver and a South African on a Imbel reciever. If I were you I would pick up a DSA STG -58 that DSA builds on a new receiver with used like new Austrian STG -58 parts kits. I bought one for under $900 bucks 2 years ago . Dsa makes a great product . Dont build one yourself unless you have the proper tools. Stay away from Century models unless they are all metric and have the "Imbel" receiver on it. Even then, you might still have to rebuild it as the angry beavers at Century had their dickbeaters on it. They can be a pain to headspace. Inch and metric are both equally good. You can use metric mags in the inch but not vice versa. Countries that used the Inch model were the Aussies , British and Canadians . If we would have adopted the Fal instead of the M14 ours would have been inch also. After building over 50 of them, the only weakness of the Fal system is the threads used to secure the gas tube in the front site block. Since the gas and piston flow back and wear out the fine threads on the gas tube it causes slop, gas leaks and prevents the proper amount of gas to operate the gas system. This is after thousands and thousands of rounds. The easiest thing to remedy this is buy a new $10.00 gas tube and its fixed . Some countries like Austria brazed or welded the old gas tube to the front site block sealing the gas leak. D.Saive who invented the Fal also invented the FN49 and helped finish the Browning Hi-power after John Browning died . Over 90 nations militaries used the Fal and that is a great track record ! They call it "The Free Worlds Right Arm". Good luck ! Jerod

·
Registered
774 Posts
Jerod's certainly nailed it. I've got an inch L1A1 aussie clone (Entreprise receiver) and an Izzy short barrel clone (with a Dan Coonan receiver). also got an STG58 kit yet to be built. I've had mine built by Rich who owns CGW. they shoot incredibly well, 7.62 is more expensive than 5.45 but I've liked being able to get 20 rds of .308 round down range quickly since 1968. I paid $299 for the STG58 kit several years ago and now they're around $700. they're not going to get cheaper. DSA makes a nice product. If I were to buy one already built I'd buy from them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts