AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a public service announcement, there is a badly faked “soviet barreled 69 Tula Kit” build sold for $3200 that is clearly a etched barrel, badly faked/engraved receiver blank claiming it’s a 74ullc. Sorry if there are mistakes in this, I am very busy atm, I just wanted ppl to see this before it gets listed again.

I looked at the chamber end of the journal and could tell immediately, plus the markings didn’t add up.

It was built recent enough that they would have bought etching stencils for selector markings, the guy claims some guy had it in 2004, 74ullc didn’t start making Rcvrs until 2010.

I helped the cat get his money back, the seller may not have known but then mentioned listing it again, he was advised not to and he seemed like he took the warning.

I won’t be calling him out unless it turns back up. Be careful younger guys. There is a reason we have this forum. A couple mistakes made on buyers end, not getting the guys # and discussing it, yada yada.

Y’all take it easy, b careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Was there a serno on the receiver?

NM I see the pic now. Hmm I'd be leery of having that.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
But there’s no model number. That’s required by law.

It looks like an old Ted Marshall forced matched/proofed build on a private receiver. Then someone wanted to sell it and engraved it with 74ULLC. It’s easy to see the engraving marks in the proofs and numbers and they are WAY too perfect to be legit. Roll marks don’t look like that. But the engraving on the receiver was obviously done by hand, these were done by 2 different people. I’d suggest this is an illegal firearm simply from the lack of a model number but the other factors are also troublesome. It’s damn sure not legit.

·
Registered
753 Posts
There's no city and state either. Not only is whoever did this a douchebag, they're not very smart either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Way to help a brother out! Like a dumb ass newbie, I was going to bid on this rifle. But while I was getting info the seller informed me that it had sold. Wow, I’m glad I missed that one. Jodabo caught the barrel fake stamps also. I’m so glad that you experienced collectors are willing to share your knowledge.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There’s a 68 Tula listed on GB for $3000 that doesn’t seem to have any info on the receiver. Could that be built on a 80% receiver or is there different location the info could be? A built 80% receiver is illegal to sell intact correct?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It's unfortunate that that AK hobby can have some real shitbags. This is really nothing new in the collectable, rare or valuable firearms game. Buy books, read and do research. If it does not feel right look harder and consider passing on the "good deal".

Start collecting K98s or Lugers if you really want to see how low and awful people can be. Or if you want just a taste start collecting Mosins or more so Mosin Snipers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My FFL told me that I should build on a 100% receiver that way I could sell it if I ever needed too. If I did a 80% receiver it was mine forever unless I cut the receiver to make it a parts kit again. Is this a Federal thing or State?

·
Premium Member
13,009 Posts
That's pretty bad Chris, I haven't seen any faked receivers come in with kits....yet!

·
Registered
781 Posts
The slight egging around the barrel pin is another give away. I haven’t seen egging like that on a factory original barrel assembly. That is something to keep an eye out for on all kits/builds claiming to be original. Seems to come up with Yugos a lot where Buba installs a pulled barrel and calls it all original.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
That one is even worse. Either this guy is a moron and bought a bunch of phony stuff or is a complete scumbag passing off counterfeit parts.

One of our DFW members should find this guy and shut him down.
Upon looking at this on the computer, I have to agree. That trunnion could be anything.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts