AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up used for a decent price right after our beloved pres. banned these evil Russian AKs. Still probably overpaid, but regardless I don't shoot it and want to let it go.

Did a CG marketplace search (as always) as well as a gunbroker search. Neither revealed much. Most of what I find is converted (mine is stock configuration) or has "sold" where the price used to be. So I pose the question, what's a fair price for this gun?

Keep in mind the round count is unknown. I don't know how many prior owners. And someone scratched some kind of doodle into both sides of the receiver (see pics). Thought this gun would be a fun project to practice converting, but never seem to have the time.

Appreciate any feedback!

2a.jpg 3.jpg 4a.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
I can't help but have you tried other forums? I would at least think it is worth what you payed.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
That auction is also 3 hours old. I guarentee it won't close out at that.

DDM4556, welcome to the forum. Your saiga 308 seems to be the later version with the BHO lever. Not that it matters but it's nice to at least date the rifle. It looks like a fairly decent rifle and is the easiest to convert out of all the saigas. Latley, depending on work done I've seen the 16 inch versions sell from anywhere from $650 on up. $650-$675 being stock like yours to the more common modded ones for around $800-$900. The 16 inch barrel versions don't seem to be as common as the 18 inch barreled rifles. Most ive seen for sale have been 18 inch versions and they are considerably lower in price. The saiga 308s I've seen go for over a grand have been all modded versions WITH the FSB/muzzle mod. On these rifles the barrel needs turned down to fit a AK74 style FSB so it gets into custom work and seem to be a major selling point.

I would say that if you haven't shot it yet then please do! The noise, fireball, and power felt is unbelievable! In fact, my favorite AK to shoot and it always drops mouths with its obnoxiousness! Even though they are $$$ to feed, they are fun as hell to shoot! Only reason I haven't sold mine!

If your planning on selling, waiting the better part of the year until election time will really pay off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

DDM4556, welcome to the forum. Your saiga 308 seems to be the later version with the BHO lever. Not that it matters but it's nice to at least date the rifle. It looks like a fairly decent rifle and is the easiest to convert out of all the saigas. Latley, depending on work done I've seen the 16 inch versions sell from anywhere from $650 on up. $650-$675 being stock like yours to the more common modded ones for around $800-$900. The 16 inch barrel versions don't seem to be as common as the 18 inch barreled rifles. Most ive seen for sale have been 18 inch versions and they are considerably lower in price. The saiga 308s I've seen go for over a grand have been all modded versions WITH the FSB/muzzle mod. On these rifles the barrel needs turned down to fit a AK74 style FSB so it gets into custom work and seem to be a major selling point.

I would say that if you haven't shot it yet then please do! The noise, fireball, and power felt is unbelievable! In fact, my favorite AK to shoot and it always drops mouths with its obnoxiousness! Even though they are $$$ to feed, they are fun as hell to shoot! Only reason I haven't sold mine!

If your planning on selling, waiting the better part of the year until election time will really pay off.
Wow. That was even more info than I was hoping for. Thank you. I really appreciate it. And thank you for the welcome.

I think at this point I will heed your advise and hold onto it for now. I'll have to check out the fireballs too.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Yes, I agree. But at least when it closes the OP will have a real world price reference and can add the premium for the shorter barrel to that. I don't know much about these, except that I'd like to have one!

·
Registered
837 Posts
That rifle has potential. At that price though, it highly doubtfull it will sell. It will end up in the constant circle of relisting.
On re-listing #2 now, so I'd say you're right. Dude is trying to get election-panic prices awful early. Not that I'd want to let one go much cheaper than that...

Is that the CSS front hg on yours, 22many? Looks so much better than the stock Saiga hg, and seems pretty solid to me.

OP, I agree that holding on to your .308 Saiga is the best course of action.

-otus

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
On re-listing #2 now, so I'd say you're right. Dude is trying to get election-panic prices awful early. Not that I'd want to let one go much cheaper than that...

Is that the CSS front hg on yours, 22many? Looks so much better than the stock Saiga hg, and seems pretty solid to me.

OP, I agree that holding on to your .308 Saiga is the best course of action.

-otus
Yeah, the endless gunbroker relisting circle. Ive actually seen a couple things on gunbroker that have been there for over a year! I suspect this one will end up being recycled many more times.

The rail on mine is a UTG rail that I got on a mak90. Took it off the MAK and ground the crap out of it to fit! I mean really ground it!!! It's so solid that you can probally smack it against a tree and it wouldn't move! I'm not big on rails but I like it on this rifle and at the time I needed a place to mount a weapons light when I was hunting coyotes at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts