AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to state that I am a new AK owner (really first time semi auto owner) so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently purchased a M+M M10 AK47 and I took it out to shoot it for the first time last Sunday. It had some intermittent failure to feed problems (about 6/100 rounds). No real pattern to when it would fail. When it did fail the cartridge was only about 3/4's of the way into the chamber. After removing the round I noticed the rim of cartridge was pretty torn up (see pictures below) I was using a tapco mag and tula 124 gr ammo. Also, after coming home I gave it a thorough cleaning and I have a feeling it had never been properly cleaned before (the gas chamber was producing completely black patches) I have a pretty limited amount of funds to throw into problem solving (broke college student). Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the problem?

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Try using an original AK mag, and see if this fixes your problem. A lot of the time, its a bad that will cause feeding issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try using an original AK mag, and see if this fixes your problem. A lot of the time, its a bad that will cause feeding issues.
I'll definitely pick one up

Also besides the magazine are you shooting hollow points? Try some FMJ ammo too.
I shot both HP's and FMJ's. Both had failure to feeds (granted it was Tula ammo)

I think my best course of action is to only change one variable at a time so I will probably pick up a good ak mag and use tula again. If that doesnt fix the problem I'll probably try using some brass cased stuff
Thanks for the help gents

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say with a good euro steel magazine and an additional 10 or 12 mags run through it I'll bet it will be 100%. If not you can always send it back to the manufacturer and let them fix it.

You might check the chamber for any defects that might cause your feeding problems too.

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
I'll definitely pick one up

I shot both HP's and FMJ's. Both had failure to feeds (granted it was Tula ammo)

I think my best course of action is to only change one variable at a time so I will probably pick up a good ak mag and use tula again. If that doesnt fix the problem I'll probably try using some brass cased stuff
Thanks for the help gents
Mag change is a great idea. I'm going to recommend these, because 3 years ago I'd have been happy to get a brand new Euro Mag with BHO at this price.
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/20-magazines/172938-croatian-mags.html

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
If they're still in stock on the 22nd buy 5 and keep 4 in the wrapper if you have to. Best deal on mags I've seen in a while.

If you decide you can't deal with it, I'll buy it from you and feed it right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they're still in stock on the 22nd buy 5 and keep 4 in the wrapper if you have to. Best deal on mags I've seen in a while.

If you decide you can't deal with it, I'll buy it from you and feed it right.
Not sure if I'll buy 5 but at least 3 for sure

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
To piggyback and make it a little clearer, buy military issue steel or bakelite mags. Chinese, Soviet, East German, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Egyptian, Yugo and NORTH Korean. Avoid the "made in Korea" mags. They'll be a medium grey color, very clean and pretty. Lots of shops carrying them now. Tapco and other American made mags I'd stay away from unless you see feedback here on the forum saying otherwise. I use military mags only myself...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts