AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of finish was put on russian AKMs when they were new from the factory? I'd like to know so I can put something on a build that will be the same as (or at least look very close to) the original finish. Any idea what might work well in this case?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Black paint over parkerizing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What about the PLO kits on some of the newer looking kits is that finish russian original or a Israeli redo

·
Super Moderator
10,307 Posts
I Marotto said:
What about the PLO kits on some of the newer looking kits is that finish russian original or a Israeli redo
The Israeli's only did a repark job when they refurbished. So if it has paint, then it is probably original.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hootbro said:
I Marotto said:
The Israeli's only did a repark job when they refurbished. So if it has paint, then it is probably original.

Ah hah... boy some of these look like they were brand new and some look like there were drug through the streets of gaza..

·
Super Moderator
10,307 Posts
I Marotto said:
Hootbro said:
[quote="I Marotto":6elxqtzz]What about the PLO kits on some of the newer looking kits is that finish russian original or a Israeli redo

Ah hah... boy some of these look like they were brand new and some look like there were drug through the streets of gaza..[/quote:6elxqtzz]

I am sure there is exceptions to the rule but the Israeli's captured a lot of weapons and material over the years. Not unlikely that they found freshly thrown down new weapons or new in the crate.

Hootbro

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you were to use Gunkote "AK Black" or Duracoat "H&K Black" over zinc parkerizing you would be very close to correct . As Stottman said , they tended to vary in the sheen over the years . Stottman has seen more real russian AKM's than most people on the board .

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Jerod, How close is the satin to the AK black? I just got a quart of satin, and hoped to do my L1A1s and AKs. I have some original L1A1 parts to compare. If this is close, I'm going to order another gallon.

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jithaca said:
Black paint over parkerizing.
Ok, thats what I wanted to know, but was the paint glossy or flat or somewhere in between. I'm concerned with what was used right out of the factory. Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You can do alot to flatten a finish by heating the metal before you paint. This really helps me to get an exact match when the paint seems a tad glossy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts