AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done finishing an SA85 this weekend and thought I would snap a couple of pics of my "ghetto" oven before putting it away.

I made this out of some lumber from a cement pouring project, 2 bbq lighters from Lowes. These are the loop type that you start charcoal with. Break the handles off, cut the plug off, split the wires and straighten the loops out. 1 dimmer switch. Bbq thermometer mounted in the lid

Cut and screw the boards together and lay the lid on top. Mount the heating elements on the bottom with screw eye's.

Hang the rifle near the top with wires.

I realize this is kind of crude looking, but hey, it works great. I figure the little use it gets no need to invest any more in it.

Yumm... Fresh baked AK!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wow, would have never thought wood for an oven. It solves the structural and the insulation with one stroke. Good job.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Great idea. :allright:

In the future you may want to include a small metal fan for circulating the air in your oven for even heating.

You could just cut and bend some tin in the shape of a fan connected to a small mini motor mounted on the outside of the wood box. Just a thought.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hot does it get?

This last time I used it I preheated it for about an hour. It was a little over 400 degrees, notice the scorching around the top.

I was fooling around with a fan, there is one in there on the left. After the first session it quit working. Actually it seems to bake ok without a fan.

The first lid I made was out of solid wood like the rest of the box. That warped badly since it wasn't screwed together like the rest of it. This last time I used some old partical board and made a double thick lid. Seems to work better. A bucket of sand on top helps too.

I appreciate the positive comments guys, but in honesty the design isn't mine. I found a link a few years back that a guy made one similar to it.

:grin:

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
You didn't spray that wood down with diesel before the cement project did you? That would make one evil oven. :twisted:

Thanks for posting your setup, I had everything covered except the oven but I think I could make one like that. Oh and for a fan you could cut a hole in the side, use some metal dryer ducting and using like a small 5" desk fan add a little positive ventilation. It should give circulation without the fan burning up since it is now located on the outside. Just a thought.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Neat setup, economical and functional just like the AK. I was thinking of building one from a school locker about 42x12x12. -Pop rivet sheet metal over any vents, insulate with oven insulation and high temp caulk, and use the BBQ lighter heating elements. Have about a dozen kits to build and paint so i figure the cost would be worth it; plus I wouldnt have to jam then in the kitchen oven. How did you wire them up to the dimmer switch? And is the circulation fan really needed?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PhilRazz said:
You didn't spray that wood down with diesel before the cement project did you? That would make one evil oven. :twisted:

Thanks for posting your setup, I had everything covered except the oven but I think I could make one like that. Oh and for a fan you could cut a hole in the side, use some metal dryer ducting and using like a small 5" desk fan add a little positive ventilation. It should give circulation without the fan burning up since it is now located on the outside. Just a thought.
Nope, no flamables added. That would be quite a sight. Reminds me of the burning ak handguard video. :grin:

Just remember the more holes and greater volume the harder it will be to heat up.

This is my second gunkote job and I don't think at this point I need a fan. They have been turning out nice. Although there might be issues with some colors that have been known to discolor at higher temps-longer baking times.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Wow! Dig the ingenuity man!

Thanks for sharing that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts