AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently purchased a Romanian WUM-1 from an online auction... and before you start, I know, I know... I should have known better but yada, yada, yada... So anyway, when I got the rifle, I noticed the scope mount looked a little different, it has a large knob at the rear of the mount, and after a bit of google'n I found out the scope mount is common. Which was ok, but once I removed it, I found 3 “extra” holes drilled into the receiver. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. I continued to disassemble the rifle to inspect and clean it and as I was removing the not so tactical buttstock, which was held on with sheet metal screws, I noticed a hole drilled into the back of the receiver to help hold this POS stock on. Now I'm livid. I wanted to strangle the idiot who did this... So, after a week of cooling off I started to think about how I was going to "fix" this. I got nothing. I did decide to get some original/surplus furniture to replace the garbage that was mounted on it but I wasn't going to do anything until I came up with a solution for the holes in the receiver.
So, this is where y’all come in. I'm open to suggestions. Please keep in mind I'm not looking to kicking it to the curb and go out to buy something new, I want to try and fix it. I don't need to keep the scope mount so that's not a show stopper. So, let's hear it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Looks like it had 2 different type of rails on it. the hole by the pistol grip will be covered. I think the standard type Romanian rail should cover the holes. what kind of rail did you get with it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it had 2 different type of rails on it. the hole by the pistol grip will be covered. I think the standard type Romanian rail should cover the holes. what kind of rail did you get with it?
Ok, so here is the mount and hardware. You'll notice picture 495 it seems they used a grinder to take a section out so it can fit. IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Thanks for taking a look a this. All suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Incredibly stupid bubba type gunsmithing. They tried to fit a Mosin-Nagant type mount on an AK.

iu.jpeg iu-2.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone... great info. So now that we know what weapon the mount belongs on, how do we fix the holes in the receiver? or can it? I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Diamond and Rubies ornaments for a Paki look.

Other than welding I am not sure how you can do it.

Or get a new receiver, 80% if you wish and you will have to worry about drilling even more holes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diamond and Rubies ornaments for a Paki look.

Other than welding I am not sure how you can do it.

Or get a new receiver, 80% if you wish and you will have to worry about drilling even more holes.
You know the diamonds and rubies are a nice touch but the ol' BeDazzler is in the shop. I think I'll look into the 80%. It may be a little challenging but I think I can replace it. Are there any recommendations on vendors and parts? I'll also be in the market for furniture too so I'll be looking around for parts and pieces. Thanks.

·
Technical Advisor
15,447 Posts
The mount pictured is a Chinese SKS and/or AK mount

Similar to a Mosin Nagant PU mount but not the same

The milled inletting and a windage screw (missing in the hole on the right rear side of the mount)

It was designed for the 4x20 Red Star Chinese scope.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
So, I recently purchased a Romanian WUM-1 from an online auction... and before you start, I know, I know... I should have known better but yada, yada, yada...
What do you think's wrong with a WUM-1? The WUM's are the best of the Romanian AK's in my opinion.

Here's the scope mount that would have came on your rifle.

WUM 1 Scope Mount.jpg

And here's what it looks like with a scope mounted.

WUM1 with Scope.JPG

Now forget all that talk about ditching the receiver for an 80%. You have a real Romanian receiver there. If you ditch the receiver, then Bubba wins. I'd have someone weld up all the holes. If you can find an original scope mount, then have it installed. If you really want to make things right, then have the slant cut at the rear of the receiver fixed too. Here's some inspiration.

WUM1 with Ironwood Stock Set.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m glad to see the community come together and help me solve this little mystery. I think I’ll hang on to the mount, you never know when it may come in handy. As for the receiver I won’t replace it with an 80%. I’ll try to get the holes filled in. Does anyone have a recommendation or should I just reach out to a local welding shop? What about rivets? I’m not too sure what I can do with the slant cut. Are there adapters or am I going to need to cut the ears off of it? I appreciate all the advice. I knew I was joining the right forum.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I would have someone weld up the rivet holes who has experience working on AK's. That is unless you really know and trust them. I'd suggest Two Rivers Arms, but there are others. Two Rivers Arms can fix the slant cut receiver too.

·
Technical Advisor
15,447 Posts
I’m glad to see the community come together and help me solve this little mystery. I think I’ll hang on to the mount, you never know when it may come in handy. As for the receiver I won’t replace it with an 80%. I’ll try to get the holes filled in. Does anyone have a recommendation or should I just reach out to a local welding shop? What about rivets? I’m not too sure what I can do with the slant cut. Are there adapters or am I going to need to cut the ears off of it? I appreciate all the advice. I knew I was joining the right forum.
Here is what the Chinese mount and set up you have and what it looked like originally. There were a few variations depending on the firearm ., eg SKS vs AK etc.

Similar type mounted on a SKS>>

Maybe get a couple of estimates on the repair. It might get pretty pricey. Welding, smoothing, refinishing and/or add back a Romanian optics rail. Not that type as pictured above as yu will not likely find one but a milspec Romanian optics rail. It would help hide the welds and old hole locations etc.

Depending on costs it may be better to get a Childers receiver and have the rifle rebuilt with proper selector maekings etc..
Neither option will be inexpensive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts