AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up off of GunBroker last month. I did not get any story behind the rifle, all I received was the busted barrel and receiver. I don't have a picture of the barrel at the moment, but here are some shots of the receiver. The barrel had a round stuck in the chamber with the primer blown out of it.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Wow! You don't see blown up Mosins every day.

Would love to get the full story. Does it look like a factory-loaded cartridge stuck in the barrel?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The round appeared to be berdan primed, but other than that I don't remember. Next time I'm home, I can take a closer look at the barrel and the round. The barrel appeared to be in great condition other than the stuck round.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Damn! I sure hope the shooter was not badly injured. Its hard to believe that someone fired a squib round, then failed to notice the popping sound and lack of recoil.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
What model rifle was it? Perhaps a .312 (or larger) bullet in a .308 bore?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the barrel was dated 1931, and it was made by Tikka. Additionally, the barrel is D stamped indicating that it was chambered for the typical Soviet 7.62x54R instead of the Finnish 7.62x53R.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I've got to ask. What are you going to do with it?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally, I had thought that I might be able to salvage a few pieces from it, but that is not very likely. I will probably just keep it as a neat conversation piece, and an example of why a rifle needs a proper headspace.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Also, the barrel was dated 1931, and it was made by Tikka. Additionally, the barrel is D stamped indicating that it was chambered for the typical Soviet 7.62x54R instead of the Finnish 7.62x53R.
the "D" stamp was put there to show the throat was reamed out to accept the Finnish D-166 round. It was a 200grn bullet and the ogive was much farther forward than the standard ball ammo of the time...

Don't think it was a headspace issue...might be a case failure....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts