AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after finding my way here whenh looking for my first AK, I got a lot of opinions and guidance that helped me find my way to an awesome rifle and an awesome deal. I posted my experience with the RWC converted Saiga IZ132L there wasnt a lot of info on them

So my 2nd time around (because you can't own just 1 AK) I decided to create a thread asking for input on mid-level AK74's., if for nothing else because it was good luck the first time. I received a ton of useful information and good recommendations and patience throughout the process of looking around. I eventually decided on a WASR2. I got it for $600 out the door.

There isnt a lot of info on here about the WASR2, so I thought I would create this thread to share my experience with it as it unfolds.

It looks like the original owner added a thread adapter, that he said should come off once the barrel is heated up a bit. Once I take it shooting, I'll try to unscrew the thread adapter to give it a good cleaning.
The surplus Zig Zag muzzle brake was really dirty and had thick carbon buildup. I cleaned it up and it looks excellent.
The barrel is in excellent condition. I looked at it and it appeared perfect, almost new. There was no physical wear on any of the parts, just the finish has some wear.
It came with a nice Arsenal stock. as well. It's in good condition, but the upper handguard is not on properly, so there's a gap in one side. I have to fix that.
The original owner replaced the factory piston because apparently it sucked. It has a swept handle, which is convenient.
It also has a TAPCO G2 trigger group.
It came with a sling loop as well (IDK if this is standard or not)

Update: Tapco G2 FCG smoothed out after taking a file to the hammer face and filed the sharp edge off the latch.
The upswept bolt handle was indicative of being from the AIMS74 parts. Recently surplus AIMS74 parts came in and the bolt and bolt carrier dropped right in. Each are interchangeable.

Here is an album with detailed pictures that I have taken so far of the WASR2

IMG_20160419_161852.jpg IMG_20160419_161912.jpg IMG_20160419_161915.jpg IMG_20160420_180950.jpg IMG_20160425_195532.jpg

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
It came with a nice Arsenal stock. as well. It's in good condition, but the upper handguard is not on properly, so there's a gap in one side. I have to fix that.
Take off the gas tube and twist it in place till you get it where you want it Gorilla.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
You haven't found much on the WASR-2 as not many were imported. I don't know the actual numbers, and Century has a habit of not cooperating when trying to find import numbers, but my guess is it is among the most rare of any rifle imported from Romania with the possible exception of the .223 WASR-3.

The issues you mention about the hammer seems normal with both Romanian rifles and ones that Century installed trigger groups. Most people just shoot it and it will eventually wear in, but I have to admit to taking a dremel to the hammer on one or two... :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, honestly even of I screw it up, another TAPCO G2 trigger isnt very expensive. I was thinking about getting a cheap original surplus trigger groups to practice on. They can be had for under $10.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alfred, thanks for the illustration. That helped it to make more sense when I took it off and looked at it closely. It was actually a lot easier than I thought. It took about 10 sec and now it's perfectly straight.

Reactions: Alfred

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the hammer. Practically all semi auto AKs do that. Besides when are you actually moving the carrier that slow?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Primarily only when Im tryng to get the bolt to stick on the hammer :).
Also, when I poke myself in the eye, it hurts a bit. Anybody know whats up with that? :)

Reactions: MPiKM-72

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Alfred, thanks for the illustration. That helped it to make more sense when I took it off and looked at it closely. It was actually a lot easier than I thought. It took about 10 sec and now it's perfectly straight.
Your welcome Gorilla, that's good news.
:smileak:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your welcome Gorilla, that's good news.
:smileak:
Sling arrived today. Got it installed and it has enough length plus a few more inches.
Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far this rifle has been great. It is by far the softest shooting rifle I've ever shot and its as accurate as I could ask from an AK.
It definitely comes from a bygone era when cheap AKs were made quickly and passed along the line. Luckily the rivets are mostly solid, only one is questionable but hasn't moved. The top cover is misshapen, thin and sharp. It also has long and excessive drag marks that caused a fine ripple in the metal. There are also small ridged marks on top of the trunnion. So this is definitely not a safe queen, but it has a beautiful utilitarianism about it and the simple refinished Bulgarian stock set feels right on it.
Upon close inspection I saw what looks like a very light proof mark that appears to say CtC 20.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I had been concerned about spare parts for this for a while and was told multiple times that everything on this was proprietary.
However, I got info to the contrary.
The difference is that a lot of these came with upswept carrier handles. Identical to those on the Aims74 military rifles, and these were earlier wasrs put together from leftover military parts.
Someone else tested the theory and had no trouble dropping in a SAR2 bolt and bolt carrier into a Wasr2.
So I saw a AIMS74 bolt and carrier available for $95 shipped and thought it'd be a good idea to get replacement parts.
I compared them to the parts that came with me Wasr2 and they are identical.
I dropped in the new bolt and carrier and they fit perfectly. I mixed up the parts and they still worked perfectly.
I'm going to wait until I can get my hands on some 545x39 gages before firing with it, but it's nice to know I have a backup.
So for those with Wasr2/SAR2/Wum2 with upswept bolt handles, you may very well be able to use the parts from these Romanian 74 kits that are currently available.

·
Registered
604 Posts
that sounds about right. just get the go no go gauges. test it before you fire it. the bolt parts use to be hard to come by. until all the aims kits came in that is. looks nice hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Updated info in original post.
Confirmed AIMS bolt and bolt carrier are interchangeable with my bolt and carrier (upswept bolt handle). Now I have some spare parts.
Added some new pictures to the album. Added don't handguard and EG wire folder for AIMS look. Still need a correct muzzle brake and magazine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually acquired a WASR2 recently and had some work done, Still havent shot it. I picked up the rifle with the intent to make it look like a Genuine Pm86/Aims74 clone, so the first thing I had done was the installation of the AIMS74 front sight base and brake. I had lee armory do it and while it did come out great, they had to do lathe work on the end of the barrel to get the fsb to fit. The WASR 2's do not have AIMS profile barrels unlike the SAR 2/other Romanian Imported rifles, so for anyone who is interested in converting one be warned. I am sourcing new parts to give it its final look. I have a lever Romy stock on it now but plan to source the push button stock, surplus steel mag, upswept bolt carrier and a proper aims "dong"
The main advantage to my rifle is that It came with a crap ton of surplus magazines which is nice. I plan to give an update on how the rifle shoots and my overall impressions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts