AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an Un-Banned SA 85M that has the correct AMD style lower handguard retainer for the AKM 63 conversion. I bought a Kassnar pre-ban the other day just for doing this exact same project. Then when looking over my Hungarians, I completely forgot about the KBI rifle. The cool thing was it had the original imported Hungarian AKM stock set with blond handguards etc. and in addition the AKM 63 sheet metal handguard and gas tube kept seperately in a parts bin. Basically set up so you can change it out to both the AKM or the AKM 63. I swore I sold that thing off a long time ago and missed it ever since. Then suddenly, there it is in the back of the safe all the way in the corner- completely forgot it was there. SO now I have the complete set, except of course the 69 grenade launcher model. I even have a dozen of the 20 round "tanker" mags with the old green leather pouches.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Never did that with firearms. Definitely with parts and/or accessories, I must admit.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
i was looking at a handgun online i forget which maybe a p64 came close to buying but decided to wait. Went into the safe later that night for something else lo and behold what do i see a p64 on the shelf lol.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Had not done that, but had one I could not remember where I hid it. Finally did find it, but took some time to find it.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Nope never done that. I have a complete mental inventory and location of every firearm, magazine, bayonet, optic, other accessory and all of their specific locations in the shelves or safe. My wife says I'm anal and far too neat with this kind of stuff. Personally I think it's the only way to roll. That way if anything is ever out of place it's a no brained what happened.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Once during one of my wife's cleaning benders she threw away a bunch of stuff to including a bunch of old books. One of the "old books" was a hollowed out Roget's thesaurus that contained my Kel-Tec .32. By the time she got around telling me days later the trash man had come and it was long gone...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Never done that with firearms. I have done that with magazines and ammunition I must say.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I hope that one day, I have enough guns for that to happen. Take a load of laundry out of the dryer, Oh! There's my Underfolder, alright!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
A buddy of mine gave me a Webley 'war finish' WW2 era revolver when I was about 21. I put it in an ammo can along with a couple of boxes of .38 S&W and there it stayed for about 15 years. I eventually did forget about it. I found it again a couple of years ago and, after looking it over, put it back in the can.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Never did that with firearms. Definitely with parts and/or accessories, I must admit.
Same here. I'm always finding weird stuff I stashed somewhere stupid years ago.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Once during one of my wife's cleaning benders she threw away a bunch of stuff to including a bunch of old books. One of the "old books" was a hollowed out Roget's thesaurus that contained my Kel-Tec .32. By the time she got around telling me days later the trash man had come and it was long gone...
That really sucks, did you have to report it? I hide stuff in alot of similar ways, I gotta rethink that.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Any knife guy who gets really attached to their carry knife will understand this

I have carried a knife everyday forever, and I carried this particular knife for roughly 4 years. Lots of carry wear, scratches on the blade, bit of rust. etc. The thing had history and character. I have tons of better carry knives but could never bring myself to remove it from my every day routine. I lost it during a move to my current apartment. I tore apart everything looking for it, but it was gone.....time went on and I could never find the right replacement

2 years later when I was painting my apartment, I pulled of the covers of our floor radiators and there it was. I must have dropped and then kicked it under there during the move...It was the happiest I have felt in a loooonnnnggg time

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any knife guy who gets really attached to their carry knife will understand this

I have carried a knife everyday forever, and I carried this particular knife for roughly 4 years. Lots of carry wear, scratches on the blade, bit of rust. etc. The thing had history and character. I have tons of better carry knives but could never bring myself to remove it from my every day routine. I lost it during a move to my current apartment. I tore apart everything looking for it, but it was gone.....time went on and I could never find the right replacement

2 years later when I was painting my apartment, I pulled of the covers of our floor radiators and there it was. I must have dropped and then kicked it under there during the move...It was the happiest I have felt in a loooonnnnggg time

Wow. Nothing like a good story or message that has a happy ending.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Wish that would happen to me. It would almost be like finding a gun.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
When I moved, I found an M1 Garand under my bed that I had forgotten about. Blew the dust off, and put it back in the safe.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Had a S&W .357 I forgot about in my truck glove box for close to a year and half. It was my daily driver when I worked as a civilian on a military installation (pre 9/11). Went out to the truck one time at work to finally get something out of my glove box and about shit myself seeing it there. Left work early and was shaking like a queer in a hot dog factory until I got off the installation.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Had a S&W .357 I forgot about in my truck glove box for close to a year and half. It was my daily driver when I worked as a civilian on a military installation (pre 9/11). Went out to the truck one time at work to finally get something out of my glove box and about shit myself seeing it there. Left work early and was shaking like a queer in a hot dog factory until I got off the installation.
Its a damn good thing you never got searched! I had something similar happen in 2003 when I was going through with my divorce. I moved all my weapons out of the house when she was out, but could not remember where in the hell I put my Berretta 92. I figured it was still in the house in a sock drawer or something.
Anywho, I went back to WPAFB that night because I had duty the next day. Parked the truck at the VOQ, went in, and went to bed. the next morning I threw my alert bag in the bed and noticed something laying in the open...my 92F, with a loaded magazine! I went through the main gate with that thing laying in the bed, then it sat uncovered in a pickup bed all night. I got VERY lucky it was not stolen, and even more lucky I was caught with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts