AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while back I got in on the $59 ESS barrels like so many other folks but haven't done anything with them yet. Can anyone tell me what kind of round count lifetime I might expect on these? I read that article on steel vs. brass ammo (.223) a while back and it got me thinking, especially when the AR barrels got shot out in 6k with steel jacket bullets.And while I'm at it, would it be worth it to get these things chrome-plated inside or nitrided? Any leads on this? thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You're not going to be able to get the bore chromed. Generally they need to cut an oversize bore to account for the thickness of the chrome, so your barrel is no good for chroming. Nitriding is possible, but I would build/headspace and populate the barrel with parts before hand. I would also put 1-200 rounds through the gun to smooth out the bore and prove you've got it all assembled correctly before nitride treatment because after the surface will be 60+ Rockwell hardness. You don't want to be trying to pin barrel components and setting a barrel pin when the barrel is that hard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts