AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the South African Enfield 10 Gauge has for sale I was reminded of a strange receiver marking on one of mine: can anybody identify it ? It looks like "MJ" with a small "N" in the center (possibly overstruck with the "MJ"). Any ideas ? Appears to have been FTR'd in '49.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
the small N and crown is a nitro proof .the large M is another story my guess is it may stand for Medford rifling I looked at all my enfield books and thats the only thing I could see that would be close to a match.. the other mark could be anything. these rifles were rebuilt and repaired all over the world.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Perhaps the "J" portion is part of a "U" shape that goes all around. When the mark was applied the tool may have not been properly orientated give a full stamp. I was probably was cocked towards the right and the left side was lightly struck. the right side appears deeper and then fades out towards the left. My No.4 mk2 doesn't have any marks like this.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps the "J" portion is part of a "U" shape that goes all around.
I did consider that, but the lower left side seems to come to a distinct point rather than just running out off of the metal (like as the old cut-down M1905 bayonets where the wide fuller just runs off of the end of the cut-down blade). Still, I guess that it is possible ... the left side of the "M" is certainly lightly struck.

I do remember hearing that all of the "PF"-marked rifles were Indian or in the Indian theater. I don't know if that is accurate, however... or even matters here.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps the "J" portion is part of a "U" shape that goes all around.
It looks as though blfuller nailed it down :hail: : all other sources seem to confirm it as South African. Does anyone know what the "MU" stands for specifically ?

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Looking at the South African Enfield 10 Gauge has for sale I was reminded of a strange receiver marking on one of mine: can anybody identify it ? It looks like "MJ" with a small "N" in the center (possibly overstruck with the "MJ"). Any ideas ? Appears to have been FTR'd in '49.

I have several Enfield No 4 Mk 2 rifles. The Mk2's were assembled as new rifles from spare parts left over from WWII and were built with the later trigger that pivots on the receiver instead of the trigger guard. No 4 Mk2's are my favorite bolt action rifles. They usually have great bores and headspace since few ever saw war action. My used example has wood with damage on top of previous arsenal repairs, but the rest of the metal (other than finish) is in fantastic shape. I figure it was used for field training, but not much shooting.

I also have access to two earlier No 4 rifles and one No 1 Mk III that were FTR'd. Every Enfield I have seen that went through FTR is clearly stamped FTR on the receiver.

I'm convinced yours is like my used No 4 Mk 2. Since I don't see FTR markings, I don't believe yours has been through FTR. The engraving on yours is the same style as my 1954 and 1955 (my 1955's are new unfired rifles) examples. They were made at Fazerkley - the "F" in the parenthesis after the model number. Some refer to No 4 Mk 2 rifles as being former "Irish Constabulary" rifles. :roll:

Regardless, you have a fine rifle. I wish I'd bought more like mine when Century was bringing them in.

I can't say I recognize the other mark. I have a No 1 Mk III with a South African barrel, but it doesn't have a mark like that.

ETA: Found a range report on a No 4 Mk 2:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/no4/index.asp

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some excellent info, and much appreciated. I believe you to be correct as to it not being a rebuild: the stock and mag are numbered to the receiver, something that I have not often seen on many #4 Mk II's. It is one of my favorite shooters :smile: and the main reason that I fell in love with the .303 cartridge. :grin: Thanks also for the range report.

I really need to get that Skennereton book ... :razz:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just received a URL from fellow Enfield enthusiast that pretty much answers any questions you might have concerning SA (South African) markings on Enfields. It identifies the marking in question as belonging to the South African Defence Force (Afrikaans) and was applied to the rifle post-1959. Many thanks to Spike_DD (on another board) for the link. In case you might have similar questions in the future:

http://www.saaaca.org.za/links/markings.htm

Thanks to all of you who responded. :smile:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just received a URL from fellow Enfield enthusiast that pretty much answers any questions you might have concerning SA (South African) markings on Enfields. It identifies the marking in question as belonging to the South African Defence Force (Afrikaans) and was applied to the rifle post-1959. Many thanks to Spike_DD (on another board) for the link. In case you might have similar questions in the future:

http://www.saaaca.org.za/links/markings.htm

BTW: it seems that, according to the aforementioned chart, the "M" stands for "Militaire" and the "U" for "Union". I am afraid that any further significance is lost on me.

Thanks to all of you who responded. :smile: It is much appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts