AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Intrac with a bad barrel and an Intrac with a bad receiver, so the logical thing to me is to switch barrel assemblies since there aren't really alot of barrels floating around, at least I'll have one good rifle instead of two busted ones. Holy friggin' cow these barrel pins are the tightest I've ever encountered. After fighting it just to get it to break loose I switched to the longer press pin to press it out the rest of the way and the friggin' press pin snapped off, sonofabitch. On the bright side the sound of it snapping with all that pressure on it freaked my wife out and she had to come and see if I was OK, LOL ...

I have everything soaking in Kroil now but damn I've never had a pin this tight before. I really hope the barrel presses out easier than this pin but right now I'm not real confident ... :evil:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I had a Romanian that was like that. I tried for several days to remove it with no luck. Finally i set it up in my press and put a little pressure on it then pumped the handle fast and it finally moved. Sounded like a gunshot.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Apache said:
I really hope the barrel presses out easier than this pin but right now I'm not real confident ... :evil:
Best of luck. On the one Intrac that I pulled the barrel from, it was a proper bitch.

Thought they had welded it in there.

On the upside, it was only moderately galled when it finally came out. I was pretty sure it was gonna be trashed.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya'll are supposed to tell me it'll get easier once the friggin' pin is out, LOL ... :wink:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Apache said:
Ya'll are supposed to tell me it'll get easier once the friggin' pin is out, LOL ... :wink:

It never gets easier! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I havent had a barrel pin quite that tight but most of the factory parts Ive pulled apart came apart with a good pop. Particularly a Bulgy 74 kit I had. The barrel was cut and removing the little stubs was beetch, I ended up cutting the barrel piece from the gas block because it just wouldnt move, used one of the milling type bits with a dremel to cut it from the inside out like an old bearing race or something. Ive got some bolcks I used for jigs to support parts as much as possible when pulling them. Keeping them well supported is key. Glad to see some guys still get to work on cool stuff.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
When the press is loaded but the part still wont budge, hit the press with a dead blow hammer. The shock should get it to move.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
dead_eye said:
When the press is loaded but the part still wont budge, hit the press with a dead blow hammer. The shock should get it to move.
+1 on that.

Done it my self and it works

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
dead_eye said:
+1 on that.

Done it my self and it works

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Somehow I get the impression I'm trying to use a 12 ton press to press out a pin that was installed with a 60 ton press, LOL. Now I'm waiting to get a couple of new press pins since the longer one snapped. I figured I'd better get extras for the future. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I'm back on this project ...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had a super tight Romny pin, 12 ton press couldn't bust it loose....a BFH and a punch did it.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New press pins are enroute, too bad bow season starts next Saturday and my gun activity will pretty much come to a stand still until I tag out. I'm taking off the last two weeks of September off for the elk rut so I'll probably try to work it in there ...

On the bright side I did refinish my M7 that I rebarreled a while back ...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I've used a vice to remove barrel pins before. Sounds like a rifle shot when it finally moves. But same thing, you had to whack the safe hard to get it to budge. Needs that shock to move it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts