AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting my collection of 5.45 mags going ( still dont have a functional 5.45 rifle yet), and I have obtained six EG bakelites so far. Five of them have plastic followers, one has a steel follower. All six have different numbers molded in.

Is there any significance to the metal follower? That mag also has a 'Made in Germany' sticker on it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Plastic followers are the newer manufactured EG mags. Both function the exact same.

·
Super Moderator
10,307 Posts
meyerse said:
if they are plastic followers they COULD be the .223 mag followers inserted for use in romanian guns.
Every Century Arms modded bakelite mag I have seen, only had the feed lip walls modified.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The metal follower can be found on older mags, newer style have plastic. I guess thats the only difference making them an older to newer style, because the mag bodies didnt change, I may have a plastic one around somewhere if you want to swap.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

As long as there isn't a function problem with the metal follower, I am not too concerned about it. I just didn't know they ever had steel ones until I got this mag.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I took some photos a couple years ago when I first saw an East German 5.45 mag with a steel follower. I had owned at least 30 or 40 before, all with plastic followers, so I wasn't aware that they existed and thought I had something "rare" (ha ha).

They do seem to be less common than the plastic follower type, at least in my experience.

In each of these photos, the steel type is on the left. I'm not positive that it always holds true, but it seems logical that lower mold numbers represent earlier production, assuming that as molds wear out and are replaced, the new ones were numbered consecutively.

(In the first picture, note the variation in the front lugs on the mag bodies, which also seems to be an early/late feature.)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
You may have something there Richard, time for me to go home and look, I remember the early years we got EGERMS with the metal follower, and later on plastic, so definatly a design change.

Both work equally well.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
You guys made me curious :razz:

Just unloaded one of my EG mags, mold number 23, and it has a metal follower. Most of mine do, I believe.

Also, just a note, the mags with the modified feed lip walls (for use with .223) function completely 100% in AK74s with 5.45x39.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mag I have with the steel follower is molded with a 21, and has the same 'early' front lug posted in Richards pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts