AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
mouthpiece said:
Does this effect the semi-auto function of the rifle in any way?
If you're talking about the lug on the bolt carrier, then no, it doesn't affect anything whatsoever. Without an autosear, it's not doing anything.

·
Registered
742 Posts
No DONT DO IT! :evil: without the auto sear, it is now the only thing preventing a fire out battery from happening! without the lug stopping the hammer from contacting firing pin prior to bolt fully locked into chamber, your rifle will still fire when a round failed to complete chambering and that's a recipe for KABOOM!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
That's not the lug he is talking about.

I'm looking for a picture, but he's referring to the small lug on the side that actually trips the safety sear.

Some factory AKs come this way in the US.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
bamaak said:
That's not the lug he is talking about.
+1, ALTHOUGH WITH THE AUTO SEAR IN PLACE IT DOES (damn caps lock) keep it from firing out of battery. In some rifles, like the Tabuk DMR, they leave the 3rd pin hole and the auto-sear and lug/trip on the carrier functions as a "safety sear".

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lug

It's not the lug that sticks out the rear above the bolt/firing pin area, it's on the lower right hand side below the part of the carrier that rides the frame rail.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Re: lug

mouthpiece said:
It's not the lug that sticks out the rear above the bolt/firing pin area, it's on the lower right hand side below the part of the carrier that rides the frame rail.

yes, and to re-enforce Moondoggy's reply, it will have no affect on semi-auto function if removed.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Actually? Vashthestanbeto has a valid point :) I suspect, Vashthestanbeto, that you are from a country OTHER than the US... you see, in the US, the AK safety sear (which does EXACTLY what you claim) is illegal. You've answered from a perfectly reasonable technical standpoint - but in the US, total fear & panic over parts that are also used for full auto fire have MANDATED that the safety sear be not only removed, but that the "third hole" for the safety sear NEVER have existed on the receiver.

·
Registered
742 Posts
-bamaak and others
Ahh, I see it now, its the small bump that touches the auto sear you are talking about, yes I am aware of its function, and its got no use other than that. I also noticed that all recently imported PSL rifles have this "bump" on bolt carrier milled off, at least it happened on all the ones I took apart.

Again sorry for my misunderstanding.

-Trotsky
Dude, how did you know? (must be my poor english? :goof: ) Yes I am a mixture of Japanese and Chinese. and only been living this country for 5 years as a costume/fashion designer. When they were talking about the "lug" it automatically led me to the"rear safety lug" and to be honest panicked me a little bit.you know, a AK rifle without both the auto/safe sear and the BC safety lug is just about as unsafe as a banana peel on major pedestrian walk. Glad to find out I was wrong.

BTW your answer lead me to another question..how is the "FA feature" determined by BATF? from my point of view the 3rd sear pin hole also have nothing to do with FA. its more of a feature that keep the rifle from firing out of battery just like the BC safety lug.While I under a law is a law and I followed it regardless. I have no idea why they decided it is what makes the AK go full auto, as another member mentioned, Tabuk sniper, Romy PSL and I suspect yugo M76, M91 also retained the 3rd hole safe sear, while fire purely semiauto. regulating the FA disconnector instead will make more sense to me.

I have to admit I am pretty ignorant to NFA regulations, and therefore I decide to avoid touching it as muh as possible (like I used a 16in full length barrel for my ongoing 74U build to avoid SBR etc..but still want a correct short barrel to one day switch into when I better understand how it works) so I hope my question here will not sound strange. feel free to correct me if I am wrong thanks!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The ATF says that a gun "readily restorable" to full-auto is full-auto. The third pin hole would allow installation of the auto sear so the ATF will not allow it.
They also call a shoestring a machine gun. :roll:

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I don't have any of the modified bolt carriers, so I borrowed this photo from AA-OK.com a while ago.

The arrows show the portion that is removed. On a "full-auto carrier" (Eeeeek!), that portion trips the leg on the auto sear as the carrier goes forward, allowing the hammer to fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts