AK Rifles banner

East German Rifle Pouch - Odd?

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tascabe 
#1 ·
Recently I purchased four of these pouches from Keep Shooting for $3 a piece.

Basically this is a magazine pouch with two grenade style pouches on the outside. Does anyone know if these are real East German pouches or fakes?

Beige Textile Rectangle Linens Pattern
Pocket Beige

Beige Wood Tree Outerwear Pocket
Bag Hand Finger Fashion accessory

Beige Textile Linens Rectangle Pocket

Unfortunately there are no dividers in the main magazine area. The outside closure strap doesn't have metal on the end and is not easy to open. The biggest notice is the rain camo is horizontal, not vertical like other rain camo pouches. Solid construction, but seems like some corners have been cut.

I plan on having two of these modified by Kennedy Nylon Designs to have MOLLE webbing on the back, to allow to attachment to vests and bags, and fastex buckles to replace the metal closure on the front.

The metal closure would be good if it was similar to normal East German magazine pouches.

See less See more
#6 ·
What is odd is the brown lines are horizontal, almost all pouches and gear of the raindrop pattern orient the brown stripes vertically.

#7 ·
That's what has been throwing me off is the pattern orientation. I'm wondering if it's copies of the original pouches, possibly made for tourist in Germany, ie Sturm, or made by Chinese.

Not sure if it would fit binos. You'd have to give me some dimensions of the DDR optics and I'll measure the pouch for you.

#10 ·
Thanks for the great picture, very detailed. Looking closely at the pouch, it looks identical to the ones I have. Seems odd that these are so cheap and so numerous, especially for scopes.

Thanks for the helping me out on this. I guess I got some good pouches then.

#11 ·
Well you had one RPG gunner per squad.

Then you have the fact that one day there was a large standing army - the next it was disbanded - so lots of stuff already issued and more in warehouses just in case they needed it.

Not very often that a large standing army just disbands without fighting a war and all of its gear and equipment is sold off by the government for a pittance.

Though East German stuff is finally starting to dry up a little - still a lot out there but the more useful stuff seems to be getting a bit harder to locate in bulk and at the prices we used to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.