AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to show some pics of the East German build that ws done over at Middletown Firearms in Va! It was built on a Childers receiver with an FN Herstal barrel and an ALG Trigger. The receiver was cold blued to match the existing parts.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Looks great! Congratulations. What's the engraving on the side of the receiver represent?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That cold bluing looks excellent, I’ve never been able to achieve a finish like that. Great work, I’d be curious how he does it.
Its a fairly long process but its very straightforward. Scrub the receiver with purple power, dry it really well, wipe it down with Denatured Alcohol, air dry. Heat with a heat gun until its almost too hot to touch, using Oxphoblue and a cotton swab, Apply the solution. Let it sit for 5-6 mins, dont let it dry...rinse with water. Using denatured alcohol again, lightly go over the receiver with 0000 steel wool. Wipe clean. Air dry. Heat again...repeat until desired darkness. Wash one last time and air dry, immediately wipe it down with emgine oil, gear oil or some other heavy oil. Ive used this on a Hungarian build as well!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its a fairly long process but its very straightforward. Scrub the receiver with purple power, dry it really well, wipe it down with Denatured Alcohol, air dry. Heat with a heat gun until its almost too hot to touch, using Oxphoblue and a cotton swab, Apply the solution. Let it sit for 5-6 mins, dont let it dry...rinse with water. Using denatured alcohol again, lightly go over the receiver with 0000 steel wool. Wipe clean. Air dry. Heat again...repeat until desired darkness. Wash one last time and air dry, immediately wipe it down with emgine oil, gear oil or some other heavy oil. Ive used this on a Hungarian build as well!!
View attachment 314966
View attachment 314967
Beautiful, thank you. When you say use cotton balls, do you wipe or dab the solution? I always end up with either streaking or blotching regardless of how I do it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful, thank you. When you say use cotton balls, do you wipe or dab the solution? I always end up with either streaking or blotching regardless of how I do it.
I wipe the solution on. if you get streaking or blotching, just go back with steel wool and smooth it out, clean a wipe again. it should even out.

Hope this helps.

AK-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts