AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to AK's and just ordered my first batch of mags for the rifle I'm waiting on. I ordered some supposedly "newish" East German mags from what-a-country. Paid more than I wanted to for surplus mags but it seems like prices have jumped as of late, and I wasn't finding anything in stock for under $15.00. Figured I'd spend a few bucks more and get a cool piece of history and hopefully nicely crafted mags!

Anyway curious to hear others opinions/experiences on mags from East Germany...

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
You can't go wrong with those. Like all EG AK stuff, the precision of assembly and, especially, the exterior finish are second to none.

The obvious next step will be to acquire an EG AKM- or AK74-type rifle to go with them.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I keep my 7 or 8 E.German separate from all the rest of my mixed variety as my "Bug-out/SHFT" mags. I'm not good at ID'ing mags so I got them quarantined as my known higher-quality mags. I picked 'em up off of What-A-Country too.

That site is like the unsung hero of milsurp.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Good mags. I don't think they're better or worse then any other surplus mag from that era

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So they came in just as I was leaving for work, I took a quick look and was really surprised at how clean the welds looked! The Germans never fail in craftsmanship...

Anybody have any background knowledge on markings that may show what year or where they were manufactured?

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Can you post some pics? A few other vendors have misused that "East German" term to mean any former Warsaw pact country surplus mags and not necessarily true East German.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
AFAIK, nothing beats German engineering. Ask any US product manufacturer.Their machines are either German. Dutch, Swiss, or Italian.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Great quality as long as the mags are in good condition. Polish ones are excellent as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ll throw some pics up later today after work. There are a few markings on there, the spot welds also seem distinctive. I got some new condition polish mags coming. I’ll do some comparison photos too. The EG mags fit very well in my rifle for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently ordered five EG 7.62x37 blued mags from What A Country. They were described as being in very good condition, but all were new and unused, with only tiny rubs in the finishes here and there. Shipping was fast. The mags were delivered free of external grease and dirt, in individual plastic sleeves. These are really nice!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Good mags. I don't think they're better or worse then any other surplus mag from that era

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Functionally, I agree. However, they are crafted and finished cleaner than say Romanian or Soviet mags. No sloppy welds or finishes. To be fair, Polish and Hungarian phosphate steel magazines are also pretty clean in that regard.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Between my Hungarian and German..

I'd pick the German.

All of the ones I got were awesome super nice.....

Great times in the 90s...

Global trades and sportsmans guide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts