AK Rifles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently imported a batch of East German MPi-KM parts kits, all vintage 1985 with a few 1984 stragglers. All had/have natural matching parts. As it is in any collectors nature to fully understand part origins and original manufacturer marks, we would like to know if anyone out there can shed some light on the following:

Full serial numbers read as follows: 85 ND XXXX. We understand the "85" as being the year of manufacture. We also understand the "xxxx" are the series of numbers unique to the gun. The mystery is the "ND" or letter component of the serial number. In looking through the various kits, we have seen: "NU", "NP", "NC", "ND". We would guess it is a factory and month code but would like some confirmation. Our European contacts have been unable to enlighten us so far.

Does anyone know how to decipher the letter code?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Well there was a page on Makarov.com that defined these codes, but Makarov.com is gone now.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
You are over thinking it. They are serial number prefixes, nothing more. Probably done so to not reveal actual production numbers. There is no magical significance.

Now, I am sure the factory kept records on when certain rifles were made, and I am sure there is a pattern to the prefixes, but nothing really past just being a batch code at best.

All were produced at the same factory, Weisa.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are members out there with way more knowledge than I, but I'm pretty sure the DDR's numbering system mirrored WWII German weapons manufacturers. A year would begin as follows, let's use 1984 as an example. The years first rifle would 84 NA 0001, the next rifle after 84 NA 9999 would be 84 NB 0001. The key is finding out if the year began with NA or AA, but I don't believe DDR yearly production numbers were so high to begin at AA.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
There are members out there with way more knowledge than I, but I'm pretty sure the DDR's numbering system mirrored WWII German weapons manufacturers. A year would begin as follows, let's use 1984 as an example. The years first rifle would 84 NA 0001, the next rifle after 84 NA 9999 would be 84 NB 0001. The key is finding out if the year began with NA or AA, but I don't believe DDR yearly production numbers were so high to begin at AA.
This ^^ I also note that my 3 70's era DDR kits only have one batch code letter ... 70 C xxxx, 71 C xxxx, 72 N xxxx -- It appears they added an additional letter once they started producing AK74s along side the 47s. look at the batch codes in this thread:
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/40-east-german/38901-mpi-configuration-database.html

·
Registered
794 Posts
This ^^ I also note that my 3 70's era DDR kits only have one batch code letter ... 70 C xxxx, 71 C xxxx, 72 N xxxx -- It appears they added an additional letter once they started producing AK74s along side the 47s. look at the batch codes in this thread:
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/40-east-german/38901-mpi-configuration-database.html
Around the time they started producing the 74s the EGs dropped the batch letters altogether and switched to batch numbers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the insights. We will heed the wise word of Stottman and not over think this. We were hoping for some important relevance but will acquiesce to the relative inconsequence of the alpha prefix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts