AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already posted these pictures on the other site, but our DDR forum here needs some action.

Everything I know about AK bayonets, I learned from Martin Ivie's book, Kalashnikov Bayonets. I like the type classifications that Mr. Ivie uses, so I'll list those along with the DDR nomenclature next to it.

The DDR's bayonets mirror the evolution of Soviet bayonets, except that they never produced the late AK-74 "spearpoint" type.

AK-47 - DDR Modell 47
For East German milled receiver AK's, built under license from 1959 to 1965.

AKM (Type I) - DDR Modell 59
"Bakelite" grip, steel sheath with rubber insulator. Used for the stamped-receiver East German AK's from 1965 until 1979.

AKM (Type I "transitional") - DDR Modell 79
Steel sheath replaced with the plastic sheath used for all subsequent bayonets. Used from 1979 until "the end".

AKM (Type II) / Early AK-74 - DDR Modell AK74 (early version)
The bulbous plastic pommels of the earlier AKM bayonets had a tendency to crack under field conditions, so an improved design was introduced with a steel pommel capping the "Bakelite" grip. Designed for the East German version of the AK-74, first produced in 1985.

Late AKM / Early AK-74 - DDR Modell AK74 (late version)
Black plastic polyamide grip , not "Bakelite". Based on serial number data, these black bayonets supplanted the yellow-red ones for use on DDR AK-74's, but it's unclear exactly which year that occurred.

Thanks for looking. -Rich

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is probably worth noting that after re-unification the newly unified Army was adopting the G36 rifle- Initially it had no bayonet but they revised it to include a bayonet mount and since they had so many Balck Type II bayonets on hand they made it use that bayonet. So the black type II actually outlived East Germany in use in the German army, though in a somewhat modified form:

Martin's book is great- everyone should grab a copy:

The Collectors' Guide to Bayonets
for the AK and Its Variations

Author: Martin D. Ivie
Publisher: Texas Diamond Eye Publications 2002
ISBN: 0972120939

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Richard W: Did the type 1 transitional bayonet and scabbard have matching numbers ?

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, matching numbers are pen engraved.

The full serial, "CG7577", in the channel for the rifle's lug and the last three, "577", on the backside of the wire-cutting plate on the scabbard.

I've owned about a half-dozen of this type, and all had matching numbers applied the same way, with the same format, from the factory.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
All I have to do now is get the early AK 74 bayonet with the orange grips and my E.G. bayonet group will be complete.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The orange bayonet was used by NVA border troops in 1989.
If i'm correct the NVA started using this bayonet in 1985 when they started producing the MPi AK 74.

The Orange colored grips are found in the serial range 200.000 till 250.000
Between the serials 240.00 and 250.000 there were also a few black gripped bayonets spotted. This could be because of repairwork done to the bayonet.
Why the grips changed to orange is still a mystery.

A picture of my orange bayonet.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jasiwasi said:
I have one example without sawteeths, somebody information about it?

That's a Polish bayonet that has had it's wrist strap and scabbard switched. Scabbard is E. German, strap probably is too.

This is a complete Polish AKM Type 2:

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
+1.

When talking about the different East German bayonet models, let's not forget about the "KM87" bayonet/survival knife that was made in small numbers:

(eBay photo)

Also, there were a great deal of variations with the models. Another "Type I" variation worth noting is the one that East Germany manufactured with the orange handle, as well, which is nearly impossible to find anymore:

Additionally, much like Hungary did with their "Type I" bayonet, East Germany also made a "Type I" bayonet with a modified-cut pommel that's extremely hard to find nowadays:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Just picked up an East German AKM Type II/Early AK-74 DDR Modell AK74 early Bakelite version at a gun show this morning with a non-matching, incorrect scabbard for $40. The seller didn't want to drop on the price, so he threw in a Romanian PM md. 65 magazine pouch for free!

I already ordered a correct scabbard from Numrich's! :cool:

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was in a local store last week and ran across a type 2 bayonet that was black with blue/gray accessories. The only marking on it was a circle K...could this be East German?

The guy had some other bayonets I want but I havent been able to get back to the shop as I am learning I hate working day shift for this reason.

·
Registered
464 Posts
After unification, sold as surplus, labeled to meet various international import/export/customs regulations. M.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The AK-47 - DDR Modell 47 bayonet will fit only the East German milled receiver AKs built under license from 1959 to 1965. All of the other, later DDR bayonet models will fit any of the later stamped receiver guns, regardless of caliber. Correct?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine pictured below. It's an eBay find, no serial numbers. Goes nicely with a 1966 MPi-KM "transitional" build.

MVC-105S.JPG
MVC-100S (1).JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts