AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an East German 5.45 barrel yesterday and after looking it over, the only proofs that I can see on the barrel are a "G", 2, 4, 1, 5, and a "M". Is it typical for these to not have the Suhl Arsenal mark on the barrel? This also doesn't have the factory finish like what others have been getting. As long as this can be positively ID'ed East German, I guess this is ok, it's going to be used on a Krinkov build anyway, more than likely.

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first received it, it had "5.45" marked on the side with what looked like a sharpie, but after I sprayed some WD-40 to keep the barrel protected, it wiped right off. I did do a bullet test and it does appear to be a 5.45 barrel. Are there any other things I can do to make sure this is a 5.45 barrel?

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 5.45 cartridge fits in the chamber, while a 5.56 cartridge doesn't. The 5.56 sticks out at the chamber end by about 1/2 inch or so, maybe more. So this is definitely a 5.45 chrome-lined East German barrel, right?

· Registered
8,049 Posts
While the proofs are unusual it does appear to be East German, based on the machining on the chamber end. The EG 5.45 barrels were unique in having the machined chamfer around the chamber end of the barrel.

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good. Could the "G" stamped on the barrel signify another arsenal? Do all of the EG barrels have this "G" stamped on them?

Here are a few more pictures. It looks like it, but I'll ask anyway: this does have a chrome lined bore and chamber, right?

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Nice photos! :smile:

The best way to confirm chrome lining is to apply some cold blue formula to the chamber end. If chromed the chromed area won't accept the blue.

My barrels thus far (4) have not had the journal sizes stamped into them. They do have the Suhl circle in square proof and a three character code with two numbers and a lower case letter (i.e. - 2 5 r). My barrels have a blued finish. I suspect that since the East Germans already had the bluing tanks fired up they dunked most of these barrels to protect them until assembly.

There are two "E" characters on this one. I don't know what they signify.

On your barrel, the different colored metal in the circled area says "chromed" to me.

As for yours having the journal size stamps...
We've seen evidence that the Soviet Union supplied barrels to at least Romania. What if they also supplied some sample barrels to East Germany, who then profiled the chamber end to their unique specs? This is just a theory. :confused:

Perhaps someone who owns an EG MPiKM-74 kit with an intact barrel will share whether or not his barrel has the journal sizes. (cough - SteveM - cough)

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, MPiKM-72! The East German stuff is all new to me, so any extra information is always helpful. I'll see if I can pick up some cold blue and try it out on the barrel. Let's see if others chime in about their barrel proof marks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.