AK Rifles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost a year gathering the correct parts, I have a mostly matching 1966 East German MPi-KM kit on a Romy barrel. I have sourced an original GDR made barrel (has blank adapter) to swap out the Romy barrel. Safety, trigger guard and recoil assembly doesn't seem to be original to the kit. However, I have sourced a correct early EG AKM safety (big thanks to frtalbert), a NOS EG recoil assembly (not pictured) and a unknown surplus trigger guard (maybe polish?).

It seems like a Recreator receiver is the best option whenever they become available again. Are his selector notches and markings (D & E) the correct style for a 66 kit or should I use an weaponmark etching kit? Has anyone used a Childers receiver (scrubbed with 3 spot welds) with weaponmark etchings? That is also an option.

I found a photo of the pictured side rail in a GDR magazine publication. I intend to use this side rail for this project.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Shotgun

Wood Handgun holster Font Hunting knife Knife

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Office equipment Gas

Rail placed over another rifle as a mock up.

Should I:

A) Reblue the whole rifle?

B) Reblue the whole rifle minus RSB and carrier*?

C) Reblue receiver, trigger guard and barrel? Leaving other parts alone.

D) Other?

*RSB and carrier have a shiny blue, other parts seem to be a dull blue.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Is your optical rail an original or a reproduction? Also did the Germans use any other scopes on the MPi-KM rifles besides the the NSP2?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I have an E German NSP-2 I plan to sell, PM me if you are interested

Reactions: Falcon88

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I was looking thru a parts box and ran across this trigger guard. Can anyone id this, i think it is E German due to the proofs.

Rectangle Wood Grey Font Art

Auto part Automotive exterior Composite material Tool Still life photography

Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Attachments

Reactions: Falcon88

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Fashion accessory Metal

For comparison, here is the trigger guard that came with the kit. It has a 'Z' or 'N' proof mark. No idea what country it comes from.

Household hardware Wood Tool Fashion accessory Metal
Tints and shades Wood Metal Fashion accessory Household hardware

The one in front came with the kit, the back one is an excellent to like new painted black TG.

Tints and shades Fashion accessory Wood Carmine Funeral

The black painted TG. It seems to have a "D" inside a circle (D). Anyone recognize this?

Wood Red Material property Gas Art

The stop plate that pictured on top came with the kit and that is how I received it. The remaining metal finish is similar to the above TG with the 'Z' proof. Bottom plate is the one attached to the black TG.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wood Metal Rectangle Fashion accessory Titanium

Top is the 66 kit on Romy barrel with EG components and a figure 8 RSB. Bottom is OG GDR barrel with EG parts and has a pinhole RSB. The Top RSB has a shiny bluing, the bottom looks like a dull bluing? The OG GDR barrel components have a rougher machined surface compared to the other barrel components on the Romy barrel. It seems like the original GDR barrel is from a mid 70s MPi KM?

Bicycle part Line Cylinder Auto part Tool

Top is the OG GDR barrel with squared FSB hole, bottom is the Romy barrel (came with the kit) with the oval hole in the FSB.

Product Red Material property Household hardware Font

Left is the OG GDR barrel, right came with the 66 kit and has an 'L' proof. Note the left one has a lightning cut down the center.

·
Registered
122 Posts
From my research I think that your estimation of mid 70's for the year of your GDR barrel is correct, I think they only used the "Late Pinhole" type RSB like yours in 1974 and 1975. The "Early Pinhole" RSB was used from 1966 to 1974 and they used the figure 8 type from 1964 to 1966.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
the "D" inside the circle is a hungarian akm trigger guard.
The "Y" is big scream polish, i have a 'z' mark on polish top covers.
the mag catch looks like a polish milled catch? i have a 86 german kit to
look over later.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I have had numerous Polish kits and dont remember seeing that many proofs on a trigger guard. Do the Polish top covers have a Z or Z in a diamond? Actually i dont remember seeing that many proof marks on any trigger guard. You think it could be from an E German milled rifle?

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
The optics rail is a reproduction. Sometime in the mid 1970s, they were using NSPUs. View attachment 333450
That particular rifle is dated 1984, and was an export concept rifle;

Original DDR AKM-Ns seem to be uber rare. The vault in Dresden doesn't even have one. But LMG-K (RPK) seemed to be more common with optics rails , so I perhaps the DDR kept the German mindset of the MG being the heart of the squad.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Thanks for the insight on the night vision E German rifle

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
i have had a few EG milled trigger guards and they have no proof marks only hardness test marks.

The z i have seen on milled polish stuff like inside of a top cover. edit-the blued tigger guatd is a t3 polish.. the 'y' is a polish thing.... the n marked trigger guard has me stumped for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the "D" inside the circle is a hungarian akm trigger guard.
The "Y" is big scream polish, i have a 'z' mark on polish top covers.
the mag catch looks like a polish milled catch? i have a 86 german kit to
look over later.
Thanks for IDing the (D) trigger guard. What does your 86 EG look like?

That particular rifle is dated 1984, and was an export concept rifle;

Original DDR AKM-Ns seem to be uber rare. The vault in Dresden doesn't even have one. But LMG-K (RPK) seemed to be more common with optics rails , so I perhaps the DDR kept the German mindset of the MG being the heart of the squad.
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know that one was an export model.

Would it have been possible for the GDR to have made mid-late 60s AKM-Ns? Since the Soviets were experimenting with with AKM-Ns not long after they adopted the AKM, I suspect the East Germans were doing the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me if the GDR had access to some NSP2s for their milled MPiKs in the early 60s. I am by no means saying my kit is in fact an EG AKM-N, I would like to put the pictured rail (from post #1) on the rifle to have the correct style rail for the period. That being an NSP2 as I would like to get one of those scopes eventually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts