AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost ready to get started, but need just a few parts. Its been a lot of fun with the research, and tracking down those hard to find parts and accessories. So far, so good, and this is what it looks like now:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reactions: Ol'Sarge2K

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I DIG IT! I will always have a soft spot for the G3. It's interesting how they were put together.....The only down side is of course if the barrel wears out how did they replace the barrel?

Any ideas on receiver yet?

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its doubtful I will ever wear the barrel out. The barrel is built into the receiver much like an AK with a milled hardened trunion, and then attached. The barrel I have is Greek, and passes the bullet test with flying colors, and has a very bright and shiny bore.

Its amazing to think this design dates back to the end of WWII, and is still in use today.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Love it Joe!
But your mag is backwards. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly never bothered to look...:doh:

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Another nice example, JM. Is your home starting to get a little crowded ? I have over flow space available, if needed :smile:

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another nice example, JM. Is your home starting to get a little crowded ? I have over flow space available, if needed :smile:
Nope, I have lots of space.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The project is a go, so hopefully I will have some pics in a few weeks or how ever long the build takes. I'm not sure anyone else has ever gone to the trouble of doing an old style G3 clone with a straight cocking tube or not, but that's what this will be.

Now to get hold of an early Hendsoldt scope...

Reactions: prom93

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Tracking down some of the early parts was reasonably difficult, but I have them now. Just waiting on several other parts before I send it off. I'll post pics when its completed.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Thanks guys. Tracking down some of the early parts was reasonably difficult, but I have them now. Just waiting on several other parts before I send it off. I'll post pics when its completed.
Looking forward to seeing them!

I found this thread when you originally posted about this rifle, and thought it was a fantastic read - The HK G3 Semi Auto Rifle...

I guess it's slightly OT, but it's talking about the very very first semi G3 imported for America in '62. The pictures look very similar to your kit. What year are you gunning for? I don't know much about the history of G3's but I'd kill for an early clone. I always liked the CETME, but yours is just way cooler.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going for an early 1960s Bundeswehr G3 clone. The hardest part to find was the bayonet adapter for the early straight style cocking tube. Honestly, I never thought one would turn up, but I got lucky.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Can't wait to see this one finish.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its been a hell of a journey so far, and I can hardly wait either. I'm still going to try for an early Hensoldt scope, provided these receivers will accept them. I believe they will, but would like some other input on this.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Very nice Joe, G3's are awesome. I have a PTR 91 that has park. finish and wood furniture. I need to get an early style clipped and pinned trigger housing for it. I can't wait to see your kit together. RTG has Hensoldt scopes, not sure if any are what you are looking for.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The scope I need is a model 1, and I can get one cheaper than $600 (I think).

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The prices are steep for model 3s and 4s because the Germans are not producing that scope anymore, and when the finally all come out of long term storage, there will be no more.
Model 1s can be had a bit cheaper because most people want the later models with the lighted reticle.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts