AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone verify the pattern of the folder trunnion on a very early AKMS?

This was one of those JoeKen PLO kits, Izhevsk 1962. I think every Soviet AKMS pic I've seen has had the folder trunnion with one more rivet. I have not seen any 62 kits, so I can't be sure. MAybe Joeken just threw a Chinese folder & trunnion with the kit? Maybe this is a real Soviet one, just a very early pattern?? I can get a pic of the folder if it would help.

Never been able to get a definite answer on this one. Tantal said it might be correct, & that the third rivet style trunnion may have been a '63 addition. Thanks for any help.

[/url]

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, but would love to find out.

I knew I'd catch hell over the grip :goof: It was temporary only, I swear! I was waiting on a wood set Kevin was refinishing for me back when I took that shot. It has a really nice dark all wood set now with correct early lower. You gotta believe me.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Looks like the real deal to me. The pre-63 under folder trunnions were a 3 rivet design, they switched to 5 rivet pattern in 1963. Neat thing about the 3 rivet pattern is, there was no 4th and 5th rivet for the demillers to cut off! There are other pre-63 features that are unique to these rifles. Need to see more picture to determine if your's is correct. A laminate pistol grip is correct for 1962, not the Bakelite one. Do your s/n's match? How about a picture of the left side view of the barrel trunnion? This is a very desirable rifle. The production range on this varient was probably 1960 to 1962. Not a lot of these in the USA.

Here is a picture of my kit.

jithaca

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool... good info. Thanks.

I'll snap some poor quality indoor shots in the morning and post them so you can take a look at the folder. If I have time, I'll take some other pics showing the other early-pattern details for reference purposes.

It's not 100% matching... barrel trunnion & top cover match, th ebolt and carrier are diiferent sn's. Least you'd never know without stripping the rifle. Still, for $219 back in the day, I did alright.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Aardvark said:
Cool... good info. Thanks.

I'll snap some poor quality indoor shots in the morning and post them so you can take a look at the folder. If I have time, I'll take some other pics showing the other early-pattern details for reference purposes.

It's not 100% matching... barrel trunnion & top cover match, th ebolt and carrier are diiferent sn's. Least you'd never know without stripping the rifle. Still, for $219 back in the day, I did alright.
My matching kit was only $225 back in the day.. :eek:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem/mystery solved definitively. Kalashnikov Arms book, early AKMS, p 86-87. Exact folder and rivet pattern in every detail. Don't know why I forgot to check that book earlier.

Here are some pictures anyway. Thanks again, especially jithaca.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Who built your rifle?

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I was admiring the paint job on the folder. How well does it hold up? Did Chris use Gunkote, Molyresin, Duracoat or other?

Beautiful Rifle for sure!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Travis,
Finish is very strong. Has held up everywhere aside from the selector's path of travel.

I still kind of prefer his old "powdercoat finish." Was a little blacker and more textured.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Aardvark said:
Problem/mystery solved definitively. Kalashnikov Arms book, early AKMS, p 86-87. Exact folder and rivet pattern in every detail. Don't know why I forgot to check that book earlier.

Are these simmilar to the AK-47 underfolders?

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
HuliganRS said:
Aardvark said:

Are these simmilar to the AK-47 underfolders?

Thanks!

Rusty.
Complete different pattern..

·
Banned
413 Posts
Your stock is the same as my Hungarian except for the number of spot welds at the selector lever cut-out. Mine has three, yours has five.

Your re-inforcement plate must be longer than mine.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts