AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was killin' some time at CheaperThanDirt the other day (Yeah, I know), and I ended up buying 3 of the East German rain pattern packs. They were so cheap, I figured I could use them as grab 'n go containers for not much more expence than WalMart bags.

Well.............then I got them home, and opened the plastic bag. THere are 2 attachment points for shoulder straps on top and 2 on bottom of the ruck-pretty standard. However, the straps that are included are basically a Y-Harness, which will not attach to the ruck as is.

Anybody have experience on how to salvage this situation? Or have I just paid the price for crossing the CTD picket line?

· Registered
1,782 Posts
that y harness has two metal rings, the metal carabiner type clips that fit into those, but that Y harness is meant to go on a belt, as is its tough to make a back pack

What I did was take the bottom of the Y harness, the two hooks, and bent then around the bottom backpack loops, its aluminum so it bends easily.

Its the standard E Ger infantry setup so you got what weve been getting for the last 15yrs with those things.

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Yeh, what Remy said, this type of equipment is basicly like WWII German gear. I did get a EG ruck that had a green strap connected to the side of the ruck. So it can be worn as a shoulder bag. I have a few other EG rucks but they do not get used like the one with the should strap. If you can get some USGI GP straps (2qrt canteen strap), have them sewn onto the packs. I find them more useful that way. Did cheaper than dirt have the for 3x for 10 bucks? I think that's the rate at CFS.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/s-ger-compak-3pk.aspx

And as you know, these small rucks are built very well. Should last a life time.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you connect the double end of the harness to the bottom of the ruck- then how do you attach the single end to the top?

I'm trying to make them into functional packs without losing the "cheap" part of the deal.

I think I paid $3.99ea for them IIRC.

· Registered
4,405 Posts
scapegoat762 said:
I'm trying to make them into functional packs without losing the "cheap" part of the deal.
I hear you on "keep'in" it cheap. You still can used a USGI strap and connect the hooks to the hooks on the back of the ruck if wanting a shoulder bag.

Ok, got back to CTD and look at the EG packs again. They show two pictures of the pack. Look close at the second pic of the right, that should help you out.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! I guess that's where I should looked in the first place, hindsight is always 20/20.

I don't have the ruck with me, but looking at the picture, the mystery has become much lessened. I just never would have thought of assembling it that way. I guess I just don't think in Deutch.

Thanks Infantry! :smile:

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Think of the USGI ALICE "Y" harness. The EG harness is almost the same but the hooks are more like "J" hooks and attack to the duty belt underneath. So two hooks under the belt around the belly and one under the belt in at the lower spine. Now the ruck has two hooks on the back that attach to the EG "Y" straps via small D-rings. The EG "Y" harness has two extra front straps, these other straps have D-rings on the ends. They go under your arms and attach to the hooks located on the rucks lower corners.

Sounds like a lot but that how these EG/WWII style feild gear was used. They had some of the best weapons but field gear was lacking in the user friendly area.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a minute to sit down and rig one of them up, then decided to cut away some of the un-needed webbing. It looks like it will be exactly what I wanted- a small ruck that I don't have to worry about if it gets damaged or lost.

Thanks Infantry & Remy!

· Registered
2,976 Posts
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wasn't able to figure that setup out. I eventually learned that hte Y stap was supposed to go with the belt, but it wasn't like I was actually going to use the ruck anyway. It was more for the collection/display for when I finally get some DDR clones completed.

I'm also trying to throw together a P-37 getup for my British Enfields...boy is that a mother! One, they are hard to find, two they seem pretty complicated to throw together. I can't believe those guys wore that crap into war, WWII of all things too.

· Registered
224 Posts
These came in 10 or so years ago. You could buy 2 of them strapped together, loaded with blanket, shelter half, mess kit, sweater, undies, etc. for $20.00 or so . Everything else has been sold off piece by piece.

· Registered
225 Posts
The DDR Assault Pack is more a case of a Bag you keep in your Fighting Vehicle/ Company Transport depending on if it is the Part 1 or part 2 Bag, it is rarely carried far once you finish basic training, designed for a strict scales of Contents ....( which all Soldiers Obey at all times of course when not being inspected) ..... :wink: .

The Yoke is more used to support the Belt Equipment, and needs to be learn how to be done, Load your Belt Order ( as per their Norms) , put it on then put on the Yoke your Assault Pack No1 was attached to this if needed, in fact there is period DDR footage of a Regimental Alarm exercise showing guys turning out of their bunks, they put their gear on like this. ... a different way to look at the problem than the British/US methods of the period.

It does work if you ask of it what it was designed for.

The British 37 Pattern Equipment Small and Large Pack is only worn when you wear your Skeleton ( belt) Order so it is balanced as it is, its L Straps bucket onto the Universal Pouches, Cartridge carriers or Brace Attachments, again use it as it was designed and it will serve within its Norm.

:grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.