AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be travelling to Dusseldorf in a couple of months for work.

Anyone have any recommendations on things to do or see?

also, any military related / WWII related places would be great.

thanks!
Clay

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Hop on a train, and go to the Panzer museum in Munster...its worth the trip. There is also a pretty decent surplus store in that town as well.
Other than that, enjoy some good beer and good food.:beer:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Pretty much all WW2 stuff in Germany has been rebuilt. So you can visit WW2 places, but there is nothing really to see.

You can go to France and Belguim, but even then its kind of disappointing...... Nothing like seeing French frolic and throw beach balls on Omaha beach...

But there is still lots of stuff to see and do... The city that impressed me the most was Luxembourg city in Luxembourg...

The food and beer are great as well.. You will never want to eat out in the US again.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to go to Normandy and take a tour of the D-Day beach heads.

Right now I think I might go to Paris or Berlin for a couple of days to stumble around before I head to Dusseldorf.

How is transportation around Europe? Im guessing I can take a train pretty much anywhere I want to go?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"check the block"?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
If you go to Paris, be sure to visit Lafayette's tomb. It was one of my favorite things to see there. Every July 4th, members of the French and American military hold a ceremony there for the changing of the American flag over Lafayette's tomb.

Contrary to what Stottman said, I would dedicate at least two days there. :)

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Rather than go to France, you might consider visiting the Ardennes. Bastogne has more American flags flying than most US cities, and the museums there are top notch.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OHHHHHHHHHHH trust me, I would LOVE to go on a WWII tour of Europe. Bastogne would be at the top of my list.

Right now though, if this all works out my wife will probably be going with me, and her eyes light up when I mentioned Paris ;)

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Honestly, your probably going to disappointed with Paris, and France in general. Belgium is more friendly, and driving around the Hurtegen Forest is something not to miss. Its quiet, and there are lots of neat little places to stay, and they usually have great food and beer.
Maybe things have changed since I went through France several times in the mid 80s, but I thought the people were rude, and it seemed dirty to my eyes.
There is a nice little Guesthouse in Baraque de Fraiture just north of Bastogne on highway 2 (or maybe 5?) that was the scene of a horrible battle between some 82nd Airborne, and other troops thrown together to buy the 101st Airborne some time to get into position around the city. Out of 140 plus, 40 or so made it back to Allied lines after the 2nd SS rolled over them. Its the highest point in the Ardennes, centrally located, and beautiful.

Read "Time For Trumpets" by McDonald, and the story is titled "Parkers Cross Roads".

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Maybe I was lucky. I didn't find the French folks I met in Paris or in other parts of France to be rude at all. The only rude encounters with French speaking people I've had were in Quebec not in France. I stayed with a Frenchman and his Romanian wife about an hour north of Paris (Bornel) and every where I went with him he made a point of bragging to people that I was visiting him from America.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Maybe it was just the area I was in. I doubt all of France is like that, but I have no desire to go back.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So any other suggestions for a place to fly in a spend a couple of days?

Im going to have to make a decision here pretty quick.

thanks,
clay

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Munich. Pretty city, and lots of stuff to do in Bavaria.

As others have said, Paris is overrated.... Even French people complain about it. You can see all the major attractions in a half a day.....Then move on to something else.

As for WW2 battlefields, most are disappointing. The Battle of the Bulge area is neat.... I did see the remains of fox holes.....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Bastogne is a must-see if you're in the area. Berlin is one of my favorite cities in Germany. Paris is a sh*t hole, nasty city, not worth going to see (unless your wife tags along in which case you might want to consider it.) Luxembourg City is at least a day or two worth of site seeing, people are awesome as well. Being in Dusseldorf you'll be right next to Cologne which has amazing beer, food, and a pretty neat chocolate museum the wife would probably enjoy.

How long is your trip and how much free time will you have?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
well I will have meetings monday -> friday, probably 8AM -> 4 or 5PM. After that its my time. Friday will be a half day, so I should be out by noon, then flying home Saturday morning. That might be the day we go to cologne since Ill have some extra time.

Plan right now is to fly out Friday afternoon, getting to where ever early saturday morning. Spend the day awake, doing what ever to try and adjust our schedule to the time shift. Then sunday afternoon get to dusseldorf.

thanks for all the info so far guys, its a big help. Though the wife isn't wanting to let go of the idea of spending a day in paris ;)

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Based on your travel plans, I would say flying into Frankfurt, and then take a trip up the Rhine River valley. Its very pretty, with vineyards, castles, etc... The nice part is Frankfurt, north to Koblenz. There are nice river cruises as well.
Good advice! The river cruise is really cool, especially if you like castles and such. Some of the best white wine is made in that area.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'll third theses guys with that schedule. Nierstein is an awesome little town to see on the Rhine, its know as the "resiling city," with enough heads up I could probably hook you up with some locals to show you around town.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts