AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy there,

Well, I recently came across the idear of a plastic AK receiver used for building a 'Dummy AK' (out of a parts kit). I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever seen or owned one of these things, I am decently intrigued by the idea but can't get significant information on it all. I would like to know if it will take standard AK parts like bolt carrier, safety, trigger parts, etc.

I was wondering if someone can tell me if its actually worth the money to buy one of these things with the sole purpose of fiddling around with it and perhaps building a dummy rifle as a wall hanger.

I'm of course referencing to the "ATI Dummy AK Receiver" thats sold at various retailers on the web. I believe they also make a similar receiver for the VZ-58/CZ858.

(I tried using the search button with little success, thus the thread. I'm not sure if this is in the most appropriate section )

Cheers,
- Geoff.

·
Registered
21,869 Posts
I'll buy your pesky parts kit off you so you dont have to worry about a fake receiver...

:twisted:

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Get in touch with Matt Siler. He used to advertise on Auction Arms. He sells, or sold, aluminum dummy receivers. He made them in a few different models from the AKMS to AKM to Chinese and Korean models. Your parts slap right into it. I Jb-welded the barrel in, but everything else attaches as normal.

You can put in a bolt carrier, but there's nowhere for a bolt to go. Mags lock in fine. Selector lever will take a little work, but will function. Folding stock on the AKMS will work if you install it correctly. Definitly worth having it you want to display a good, non-firing AK.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Why? I have enough collectible Soviet uniforms to outfit a small army, and one day I intend to put some on display with all the gear. I'm not about to leave a real AKM on a manequin and take the chance of it being stolen or someone claiming I'm endangering my kids somehow. Having a dummy that's indestinguishable from a real AKM lets me build an authentic display that captures that moment in time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ermac said:
None of you figured out yet that he lives in Canada where you can't own an AK47.
You're correct, and thats why I would like to invest in one of these 'dummy' receivers. Since it wouldn't be a live, firing firearm, but rather something I can have that will allow me to enjoy a Kalashnikov without illegally owning one. The closest things to a real Kalashnikov we can own are the VZ-58's, but as you're well aware they use completely different internals and aren't really "AK-like" at all. So I guess what I'm really looking for is a review on one of these things or someone with first hand experience to tell me whether this is or isn't a good investment.

davehal9000 said:
Get in touch with Matt Siler. He used to advertise on Auction Arms. He sells, or sold, aluminum dummy receivers. He made them in a few different models from the AKMS to AKM to Chinese and Korean models. Your parts slap right into it. I Jb-welded the barrel in, but everything else attaches as normal.

You can put in a bolt carrier, but there's nowhere for a bolt to go. Mags lock in fine. Selector lever will take a little work, but will function. Folding stock on the AKMS will work if you install it correctly. Definitely worth having it you want to display a good, non-firing AK.
That sounds like the best advise I've heard yet, I will try to get in touch with Matt Siler to see if he can help me out with one of his 'dummy receivers' to get my 'dummy AK' on the way. I took a quick search on Auction Arms with no success, and I doubt he's on these forums - So I'm not sure how I would reach him.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It's real simple...

Move to a non ban state in the USA,
then buy all the AK you wish...

End of problem.

KyAKGuy

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
If the glass filled nylon dummy AK receiver is anything like the Vz58 receiver, it should work fine for your purposes.

Cz-USA rifle on top.

Dummy Vz58 on bottom.

·
Registered
128 Posts
weird. i have thought about a display model showing a ak fire control group assembly... just to show how it works. (NOT!! to use for ANY! illegal type builds) somewhere along the lines of mounting bayonets on a display board.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Dummies can be lots of fun, especially if you have kids.

I've never seen the AK plastic receiver up close, but I agree with Nalioth that the vz58 dummy is very nice.

·
Banned
636 Posts
KyAKGuy said:
It's real simple...

Move to a non ban state in the USA,
then buy all the AK you wish...

End of problem.

KyAKGuy
He's in Canada, eh?

So, what are the laws up there regarding BB/pellet rifles? I've seen some realistic AK looking pellet rifles that are actually training rifles for the real thing. All the parts that should be metal are, was well. There are some very realistic looking airsoft AKs out there, but they're probably pretty heavy on the plastic which would affect the "handling realism" a lot. But, at least with those two options, you'd not only have a replica AK, but something that you can at least shoot at paper with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dtemplar said:
He's in Canada, eh?

So, what are the laws up there regarding BB/pellet rifles? I've seen some realistic AK looking pellet rifles that are actually training rifles for the real thing. All the parts that should be metal are, was well. There are some very realistic looking airsoft AKs out there, but they're probably pretty heavy on the plastic which would affect the "handling realism" a lot. But, at least with those two options, you'd not only have a replica AK, but something that you can at least shoot at paper with.
Well, our Airgun laws are decent in some aspects, they are available but on the pricey side. I already have a good few Airsoft AK's that have metal content. They're all well and good, but nothing beats a replica with actual AK parts. Since a dummy AK would use real trigger mechanisms it would be better than any Airsoft AK could provide. The real mechanisms would interesting to fiddle with, and learn about in the first hand with a Dummy AK.

I've looked into the VZ-58 dummies before, but as I've said before those guns are on the cheap side up here (our market it practically flooded with them) I would consider building one if I was left with no choice regarding an AK dummy rifle. Speaking of which, those pictures of the dummy VZ's look fantastic looks like it could actually fire 7.62x39.

Since the AK receiver is what I'm more interested in learning about, I would prefer more information on the subject if anyone else can help me.

Cheers,

·
Banned
636 Posts
Can you guys get 7.62 snap caps up there? If so, you could have the "realism" of being to insert a "loaded" mag and manually cycle the rounds. This sounds so completely cheesy to me to need a dummy rifle to display or play with, but I know it's not your fault. Just hard to fathom when we can legally own so much real stuff in the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dtemplar said:
Can you guys get 7.62 snap caps up there? If so, you could have the "realism" of being to insert a "loaded" mag and manually cycle the rounds. This sounds so completely cheesy to me to need a dummy rifle to display or play with, but I know it's not your fault. Just hard to fathom when we can legally own so much real stuff in the US.
We can get basically "all the above" when it comes to ammunition, be it snap caps, inert rounds, or the real deal. The only two prohibited calibers we aren't allowed to own are .25, and .32 - but for this case yes I can get 7.62x39 snap caps.

Our laws are so weird that it puts most of us in awkward positions when it comes to dummy/dewat/replica guns/real steel. You guys should be really proud that you can own just about anything you wish in your country, we're very limited up here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dtemplar said:
No .25 and .32? WTF? What's the reasoning for not allowing those puny, weak calibers?
Well it was basically a ploy by the government to get rid of as many handguns as they could, as well as all the cheaply made guns in those calibers. At the same time of the ban, they also made all guns under a certain barrel length prohibited (which most of the .25 and .32 guns were of a shorter length)

Dtemplar if you want more information on the subject I can tell you via PM, as I would like to keep this thread clean so I can get some information on dummy receivers.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts

dummy on the left

Look around Gunjoker by usin' the search, use "dummy" or "fake" plus "ak".

eta: I got the dummy from a regular dealer on GB for approx $15, probably because it was mispackaged. The instructions were for the VZ58.

eta deux: The way the dummy is built, you can't cycle rounds through it. At best, you'd hafta grind out a bunch of the internals and do a lot of work just to have room for a carrier much less cycle it.

t

1 - 20 of 22 Posts