AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a Colt snob when it comes to AR15's but I recently saw this new DPMS recon model, I think it looks sweet and I'm itching for a new rifle. I've always considered DPMS to be bottom of the barrel but I've been so out of loop on AR's since getting hit with the AK bug going on ten years now. What do you guys think about this rifle? Could I build something that looks like it with better components? McM

http://www.dpmsinc.com/RECON_ep_87-1.html

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
They are definitely on the lower end of manufactures. That is not to say that the gun will be junk though. If it's setup like you want and at a good price point, I say go for it. The two most important parts (IMHO) are the BCG and barrel. neither are hard to change if there is an issue.

·
Registered
21,750 Posts
MSRP: $1,129

o_O

I'm pretty sure there are better rifles out there for the money.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It will go bang like most any other but resell value if you ever decide to get rid of it is not that of some of the others, the same company that owns DPMS also makes Bushmaster and remington

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that is a tad high for just about any conventional 556 AR.

Build your own! :banana:

I built this awesome piston based POF/Hogan 308AR for about the same as you're considering paying for that.

Get a match quality receiver set, match grade bolt, barrel and floating hand-guard and add a nice trigger design, then fill in with cost effective components of your preference.

You will get a better shooter without paying for any components you don't like.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Nothing wrong with DPMS. You will always find the "there is better" crowd regardless of what brand you buy.

If you want a solid rifle at a decent price, DPMS has always been a good value.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Like with AK's you have several flavors of AR afficonado's....you have the Military/LEO crowd, the competition 3 gun shooters etc. and the varmit hunters and then the National Match paper punchers and of course the gizmo geeks and mall ninjas and then the recreational plinkers.

What you buy should be based on your usage...no need for a stainless $600.00 Shilen barrel on a plinker, LEO and operators want ultimate reliability so it's Milspec this and MPI that and chrome lined barrels. National match shooter want A2's w/ 1/4 MOA pinned sights, free float tubes, cringe at the idea of chromed barrels. Varmiters want 1/12 twist 24 inch bull barrels, Bipods, hi-rise A3 uppers big scopes ...see where I am going here.

Ar's come in all flavours...decide what you want it to do for you and your budget and go from there...DPMS make a decent rifle as do most of the major builders but each group seems to have a niche market they target.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been running this DPMS upper for a while now. I only shoot steel in it and I've had no problems.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have a DPMS, shoots amazingly accurate but has issues with steel cases which is a bummer for me :sad: It's an A2 upper, Non-CL, HBAR, 16" A-15.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Nothing wrong with DPMS. You will always find the "there is better" crowd regardless of what brand you buy.

If you want a solid rifle at a decent price, DPMS has always been a good value.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. My DPMS AP-4 .308 Carbine runs like a scalded dog.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I would say this. If your going to shoot it at the range every once in a while, go for it, you shouldnt have any issues. If your going to take it to classes and shoot 500-1k a weekend, get something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts