AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got the samples in today and here are the pics as promised. We tried to stick as closely as posible to the original Beryl design but we also wanted to make it user friendly with NO gunsmithing required.

The mount is connected to the rear site base with 2 hardned and pointed screws which will make a small indentation into the metal and act as a pivot point. The screws then have "set screws" that lock them into postion. We were originally considering using a "spot" drill bit to create a deeper indentation for the points to sit in but now that we have it in hand we are not sure that it will be needed. Testing will let us know.

The quick disconnect on the back does not require any alterations to the rear trunion. It is a separate piece that sits in the trunion and is held down with the rear stock screw. That piece has the "male" locking tab for the quick disconnect to mount to. I will get more detailed pics and post them.

As for price, we are working on that and I hope to have something very soon.

Scott

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"The mount is connected to the rear site base with 2 hardned and pointed screws which will make a small indentation into the metal and act as a pivot point."

Scott - how badly would the price point be affected if you included two extra screws for use by builders... those willing to drill the RSB? I confess - I would.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
cool! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I want no no no, I need one of these. You guys did a fantastic job Scott. Please let me know when I will be able to buy one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trotsky said:
"The mount is connected to the rear site base with 2 hardned and pointed screws which will make a small indentation into the metal and act as a pivot point."

Scott - how badly would the price point be affected if you included two extra screws for use by builders... those willing to drill the RSB? I confess - I would.
We have already considered using a spot drill bit to make a place for the ponts to sit into. As for needing extra screws for that, you wont need them. The ones that are with the mount will work fine and then the "jam nut" will keep everthing tight. We will have these available after testing. I want to make sure that we have it right. I have a coupe that have been sent out to a few guys for them to give us some feedback on so hopefully we will hear something from them soon.

Scott

·
Registered
96 Posts
I will be buying at least one. It looks good. This is almost exactly what I am looking for.

You should consider doing a very simple opional rear sight. It doesn't need to be much. It can be a rail mounted unit or even have the mount drilled & tapped for it. A simple rear peep sight that isn't adjustable or minimally so. You could probably find a Williams or Lyman model that would work with it. That would make this the perfect set up. The rear sight would then be an above and beyond cost, keeping the scope mount alone less expensive. Then anybody who want can upgrade it for the additional expense.

You might even use something like the Tech-Sight set up. They make them for the SKS. I believe with very little change, it can be made to work with your scope mount. In fact, it looks like it probably can be made to work as is with a hole for the cross bolt and a spacer.

http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never fear, it is in works. We are trying to make this rail "modular". We are looking at offering it with the quick disconnect as well and an option for anyone that doesnt want to spend the extra bucks which would mount solid to the rear buttstock screw. That being said, we want the rear peep to be an option as well.

Scott

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Scott, I have to ask... if you're going to offer a rear peep option? Why didn't you stick with the rear site front end placement of the FIRST rail? The quick rear detach & loss of backup irons were the only problems with that design...

Not a complaint - I'm only hoping to lower your production costs :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trotsky said:
Scott, I have to ask... if you're going to offer a rear peep option? Why didn't you stick with the rear site front end placement of the FIRST rail? The quick rear detach & loss of backup irons were the only problems with that design...

Not a complaint - I'm only hoping to lower your production costs :)

We are doing just that as well. The idea is to offer enough options on this that everyone can get what they want. The rear peep will be an option for the original style rail as well as this new one. We have no plans to discontinue the original rail. For the guy looking to be budget minded it will be a lower cost option for them as opposed to what is inevitably going to be a more expensive option with our newest quick release version.

Scott

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Will it work on a milled receiver?

G

·
0 Posts
Thoughts...why not use the existing holes where the sight leaf is located, and eliminate the rear sight. Then inturn extend the rail. Snap it into place just as it would be replacing the leaf.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That's what the original rail did, but it didn't have the quick disconnect. The main reason they went to this setup (correct me if I'm outta line here) is because people still wanted a back up sight. I'd say attach the way the original did, keep the new quick release and add a simple peep on the back of the rail.... and you've got the best of all the features... but I think they're going to try to offer two different models at different price points...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Any idea how long it will be before the peep sight is available? I've been wanting to put a peep sight on a few of my builds, but couldn't bring myself to part w/ enough $ for a krebs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are several things on the drawing board but I will talk to the shop next week to see if we can move up the peep site project.

Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts