AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AR guys use their one WASR as an example of the AKs reliability?

In the 1000th thread (the newest one currently on the first page) about the AR vs. AK.

Said his WASR is about as reliable as his bushmaster but he's had problems with it. :neutral:

I told him that's like building an AR with a vulcan/hesse plastic receiver and a no-name upper and barrel and testing it to hell and then deciding if the AR is reliable or not.

oh well. :mrgreen:

G

·
I saw that Mark. That is very common, and why I never suggest a WASR for a first AK. There's no telling how many people have been turned off to AKs because of a bad experience with a WASR.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BiggerStick47 said:
I saw that Mark. That is very common, and why I never suggest a WASR for a first AK. There's no telling how many people have been turned off to AKs because of a bad experience with a WASR.
You're talking to one right now. :neutral:

my first GUN when I hit 18 was a WASR. Bad trigger slap and canted sites so bad, you couldn't push the front site post far enough over to zero the sight. The novelty of having an evil AK in my closet soon wore off and I sold and saved up for a bushmaster, was an AR guy for the next couple of years...

G

·
MauserMark said:
BiggerStick47 said:
You're talking to one right now. :neutral:

my first GUN when I hit 18 was a WASR. Bad trigger slap and canted sites so bad, you couldn't push the front site post far enough over to zero the sight. The novelty of having an evil AK in my closet soon wore off and I sold and saved up for a bushmaster, was an AR guy for the next couple of years...
Thank God you gave it another go. That is exactly my point, and alot of people never give the AK another chance. My first AK was a MAK 90 in 1990. That gun ran flawlessly. When I shot my first WASR (which jammed several times) I blamed the builder and not the design.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Back before the WASR we had the Maadi MISR 10 and then the MISR 10 high cap,which was a single stack reciever modified for double stack mags.I was recovering from a divorce,lost most of my guns and had AK fever.I picked one up,brought it home and started finding little things like canted front sight,tight mag well tight mag release,stinging trigger and rough action.I almost immediately started working on it,I straightened the FSB,filed out the mag well,dremmiled the mag release,dremmiled the disconnector and filed the top rails smooth.In one afternoon,I had transformed a shitty AK and a shitty attitude and knew my AK inside and out.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish at the time I had known that this stuff was so easily fixed. I joined up with ar15.com a year after I sold the WASR. So I had no idea there was an online community to get help with this stuff. The local smiths told me there was nothing to be fixed. :neutral:

I'm glad I gave them another chance, my next AK was the AK-USA 74 I own, and since then I've been addicted. :twisted:

G

·
I agree with you Johno, that the problems are easily fixed. And I think a WASR can be alot of fun for someone with a little AK experience. That said, I just feel it is not the best for a first time owner. Believe it or not, me and 762 have been considering buying a few and giving them a long term torture test (which I think they will pass with flying colors).

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Yeah WASR's and SAR's for that matter are more of a second or third AK..My first was a mak 90, and man I shot the shit out of that rifle and it was still holding OK groups..I sold it to a AK newbie and still see it, it still looks good and function is flawless...He loves it and is getting hooked in more and more... :twisted:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't get me wrong. The gun itself, if fixed after buying will never fail to go bang once. And that's all that matters. Mine despite these setbacks never failed to go bang with the thousands of rounds I put through it. It was just uncomfortable to fire and aim with.

I would also like to buy another maybe in 5.45, refinish the metal, put on a brake, new furniture, the works. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
You're right,probably not the best choice for a first AK but with a little tweaking,you can have a tough AK!

Biggerstick,It would be cool to use 1 AK and have a few people scattered across the Country in different environments,Desert SW,Humid SE,Cold Snowy NW,................each person would fire a couple hundred rounds and send it to the next person on the list and each person would test and evaluate it.

This would probably never be possible with the legal system the way it is,but it would be interesting!

·
Registered
612 Posts
MauserMark said:
I would also like to buy another maybe in 5.45, refinish the metal, put on a brake, new furniture, the works. :mrgreen:
Yup thats how it all starts.First a 7,62 then a 5.45 then you decide you "need" another variant of 7.62 :smile:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Muttly said:
MauserMark said:
Yup thats how it all starts.First a 7,62 then a 5.45 then you decide you "need" another variant of 7.62 :smile:
now I just need the x54r variant :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts