AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the seizure of Molots assets by Izhmash in March of 2005 and Molot going out of business, I'm curious if any forum members own a Vepr with a 2005 production date on the receiver. Were there any Veprs made in 2005?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I spoke with a former employee today, they have never had anything newer than 03'. And he was in a position to know.

That is very interesting since that is about the time things got ugly over there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like it has taken forever for this information to come out about the Vepr problem. I have a 2004 production stamp on one of mine but have never seen a 2005 one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stottman said:
Plenty in Europe..

Molot had a full display at the IWA show (Euro version of the shot), and even a new product (Vepr 12 shotgun).

They probably said Vepr and Molot as Izhmash now owns Molot. It would appear that Izhmash has decided to use the Vepr name for products produced at the Molot plant. why not they own it. The Vepr 12 is the simply the Saiga 12 swat model. Because of Izhmash advertising the Saiga 12 as the Vepr 12 there has been talk of Izhmash moving their Saiga 12 production to their Molot plant.

If Izhmash is making new Veprs many people will find it very difficult to stomach buying a vepr from Izhmash after what they did to Molot.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I guess my source should have stuck around a bit longer. In reviewing our bound books, more than 70 of the guns we sold last year are 04 production.

I would actually say that Molot screwed Izmash. Making someone elses gun with out getting the rights to it..... That is not good business, and it looks like the Russian patient office agreed. Either way, who cares? It only sweatens the deal for us and makes it a one stop shopping trip for US importers if they work the deal right.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
AZSAIGA said:
Stottman said:
Plenty in Europe..

Molot had a full display at the IWA show (Euro version of the shot), and even a new product (Vepr 12 shotgun).
The Vepr 12 is the simply the Saiga 12 swat model. Because of Izhmash advertising the Saiga 12 as the Vepr 12 there has been talk of Izhmash moving their Saiga 12 production to their Molot plant.

If Izhmash is making new Veprs many people will find it very difficult to stomach buying a vepr from Izhmash after what they did to Molot.
They are different, but similar.. :smile: The main differences are the same differences between say a Saiga .308 and a Vepr .308.. Same gun on paper, but the RPK vs. AK differences shine though...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No one honestly knows when the new Veprs will be imported. First we need to know if Izhmash is going to continue making them. If they do are they going to use the Vepr name. Probably. Second is RA still going to be the importer or will there be a new importer. Sorry kind of like reading tea leaves.

·
Registered
621 Posts
So how are you so "in the know" man? You seem like your just came over from the Molot factory........Not doubting you just wondering where your getting all this info from.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Business associate in Russia told me during a phone conversation. He mentioned that it had happened a year ago and that many people thought that Molot had it coming for copying the AK-47. I didn't agree as our patent laws are very different. Other people have also been doing some of their own research. The lawsuit was brought about by Izhmash against molot in 2003. Patent infringement. The news in Russia over this event has been difficult to come by because to my knowledge nothing was ever printed in English about it, not to mention its old news there. My next effort may be to acquire a copy of the court records and the takeover of Molot by Izhmash. My friend in Moscow is going to attempt to find and translate some of them. The problem I'm facing is that Russia is not really an open society anymore under Vladimir Putin and this subject regards a Russian Federation defense plant. Its not impossible to find information, just difficult.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm no longer in the business, although I still have a lot of contacts that I should have used a long time ago to find out what was going on with the Vepr.

·
Registered
893 Posts
:lol:

Yeah, I spoke with Alex :lol: about them too. :lol:

I'm sorry, I just can't stop laughing. Alex told me that the XCR was about 10 days out too :lol: :lol: :lol: So in the last 14 months we have shaved 2 days off the delivery time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
PvtPyle, Can you clarify something for me, please? I can't remember where on this forum and for that matter, who said it, but as a result I am under the impression that RA will be shipping the last lot of "old style" VEPRs at the end of June '06 and that "new improved style" VEPRs (presumably with a lighter barrel configuration) will be the only VEPRs coming into the U.S. after that timeframe.

Is this what you understand to be the situation?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thunder, Nobody knows what is gonna be new and improved about the VEPR....Everything is just speculation, the barrell thing was brought up in an earlier thread....But for now theres no concrete to any of it.....Unless PYLE is holding out on us....Which I know he is :wink:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, I am but I dont have any choice right now. There will be old style Veprs from RA, and there will be new styled Veprs as well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
PvtPyle, I can understand your need to be vague since you are probably holding something in confidence about the new improved VEPR's. Thanks for what you have said already as it answers fully what I was asking even though the first part of your response is intriguing. It sounds pretty cool, can't wait to see what comes of this. :smile:

I am just glad that I'll still be able to get the old style VEPR if I want them. And then again, maybe the improvements on the new VEPRs will be awesome enough that I'll wanna get one or two of those, too. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts