AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to wikipedia, the Salvadoran Army Special Forces have used a variety of AK type rifles since 1992, presumably captured from the FMLN guerrillas during the war. Does anyone here have any pics of such use?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
i'm not going to say that you're not going to find such a picture. I will say that they rarely used AK's. the ones I worked with typically used MP5's and G3's. (they also used M-16's) the AK's they did use on occasion, were, in fact, captured from the remnants of the FMLN and other groups with communist ties. as far as the AK's I saw down there, I never saw anything that wasn't Russian. much of it was coming in from Cuba. (although, I'm not so sure Russia wasn't footing the bill.) some of it, i'm sure was also being smuggled in from Nicaragua. i'm speaking from the prospective of being there several years after the peace accords were signed. never the less, the war did continue.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not going to say that you're not going to find such a picture. I will say that they rarely used AK's. the ones I worked with typically used MP5's and G3's. (they also used M-16's) the AK's they did use on occasion, were, in fact, captured from the remnants of the FMLN and other groups with communist ties. as far as the AK's I saw down there, I never saw anything that wasn't Russian. much of it was coming in from Cuba. (although, I'm not so sure Russia wasn't footing the bill.) some of it, i'm sure was also being smuggled in from Nicaragua. i'm speaking from the prospective of being there several years after the peace accords were signed. never the less, the war did continue.
So the Ads that you saw used by the Salvadorians, that they captured from the FMLN guerrillas, were all Soviet origin? What were they, AKMs or AK-47s or both?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
So the Ads that you saw used by the Salvadorians, that they captured from the FMLN guerrillas, were all Soviet origin? What were they, AKMs or AK-47s or both?
the ones I remember seeing were Russian made. this was a long time ago, and I was a lot younger. I doubt if I even knew the difference between an AKM and an AK-47. like I said... most Salvadorians were using U.S. made or German made weapons. most of the AK's the Salvadorians used, were used for "dirty" work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts