AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut apart the top of some Bulgarian 5.45 surplus and obviously hit lead. Im assuming that there is a steel core under the lead from what I have been able to find, but is there any surplus 5.45 that has an all lead core?

my preferred range had a no steel core bullet policy which is why Im curious.

thanks,
clay

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Unless I"m mistaken, all Military loaded 5.45 has a steel core. Like the German Spitsgeschoss mit Eisenkern or "Ss" bullet, the steel core is encased with a lead sleeve to help the bullet form better to the lands.

You might be better off with a civi loading from Wolf ect. to comply with your range regs.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
My understanding is that the commercial loading is lead with a mild steel or copper jacket.

· Banned
4,029 Posts
JoeMomma said:
My understanding is that the commercial loading is lead with a mild steel or copper jacket.
no, all commercial ammo such as tula, vympel and beranul are LEAD CORE due to illegality of importing even mildly steel core.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
voron said:
JoeMomma said:
no, all commercial ammo such as tula, vympel and beranul are LEAD CORE due to illegality of importing even mildly steel core.

That what I said...lead core with a mild steel or copper jacket. Swedish ammo uses a mild steel jacket, as did some Israeli 8mm.

· Registered
678 Posts
I've found the 7N6 steel core is a VERY soft steel. Almost like a "hard lead" or something.
But its pure steel, because man, oh man, when you shoot a steel target at dusk it lets off fireworks like you wouldn't believe. About a 10 ft. diameter starburst thats really impressive.
You can take simple wire cutters and slice up the steel core with very minimal effort.

· Registered
23,508 Posts
You got got, friendo.

Someone more talented than I should create and distribute "R.R. medals" for the poor folks who step on a Necropost mine. Even seasoned members have fallen prey to the wily Recommended Reading trap.

Reactions: Dutchkma
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.