AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering, I personally headspace all my builds, just wondering if its the norm when building all matching parts kits. so far out of 3 builds, ive had to adjust 2 to get them to head space correctly.

so do you guyst headspace your matching part kits builds, or just the mismatched ones?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I like to check the headspace on all the firearms I own or intend to shoot. I have worked in production facilities and know that screw ups go out the door even on high end stuff. I think it is cheap insurance to check it compared to having an accidental KABOOM!!! because you took something for granite. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
No...If you put that barrel back in the exact spot as it was when you removed it it will be fine....I just had a discussion with a buddy of mine that I help buid an aks and I was about to put the barrel pin back in and he was worried about the head space..I told him Im 100% positive that that gun is headspaced correctly and it would fire fine..Well after I left and it was before I made it home he calls me and saye's he checked it with his go and no go guages and it was good...He also test fired it and said it ran flawless...He is amember here and may chime in on this but in all my builds Ive never used headspaces guages and have only had to head space one gun and that because the barell wasnt out of that trunnion..Also the chances of you finding a missmatch bolt that wont function in another rifle are slim to none..Ive showed people at the range on about 10 different rifle..1 bolt worked and fored on all rifles..

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think im going to headspace all my builds, Im not an expert builder or anything, but the 3 builds i have built 2 have had to be adjusted for headspace. and that was on matching kits,

I think its a good idea to be on the safe side, i mean the differnce between the go and no go cant be but a couple thousandths of an inch which is pretty hard to see with the naked eye (well to me it is and i have 20/20 lol)

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
7.62x39 said:
Hogwash.

Myself and many others have had matching numbers kits that did not HS correctly.
ALWAYS check it.
Call it what you want..Have you built 200 guns??...I dont even own guages ..I check mine with rounds...chamberd..Never had a problem..All my rifles function 100%%

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
7.62x39 said:
Hogwash.

Myself and many others have had matching numbers kits that did not HS correctly.
ALWAYS check it.
So since they did not head space did you remove the barrel weld up the pin hole and reinstall and drill..

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i didnt do that with mine, i just pushed the barrel back in or out till the guage would close on go.

i guess if you could get the barrel to the exact place it was in before you punched it out you wouldnt need to headspace, but for me that is kinda tricky when i swear the barrel hole is lined up with the trunion and i check the head space its off lol.

the one i didnt need to headspace i swore up and down i was going to have to press the barrel in just a hair more and it headspaced perfect!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
7.62x39 said:
Hogwash.

ALWAYS check it.
A big +1, I have seen 3 or 4 out of well over a hundred builds.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The guys that say they find matching numbers kits not HS correctly say stuff like "I had to move it 1-2 thousands." Come on. 1-2 thousands? Is 1-2 thousands really gonna do anything? I really doubt it. And if you dont redrill and stuff an oversized pin in there the barrel is gonna move back to where it was originally.

1-2 thousands? :roll:

I havent build 200 but I have built and helped build at least 50 and I've never seen a matching kit not HS correctly.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1-2 thousandths could be the differnce of the bolt closing or not closing on the guage. :)

now i think it would close all the way on a bullet and not cause a problem. you are not gently pushing on the locking lugs when you are getting ready to shoot its pull the carrier back and let it slam home and i would bet money that the bolt is going to close on 1-2 thousandths!

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
my question is what is the margine of safety here, .010" less, more?
i check mine by a round inserted by hand with the bolt only.
rotate bolt with fingers, if wont close it is too tight. if it closes i then check the wiggle on the back of the bolt. up and down factor. close to or more than 1/8" roughly i get worried. i have yet to see a bad headspace. maybe 50 kits down.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I've built quite a few (all matching # kits) and NEVER had a head space issue... As long as it goes back together exactly the way it came apart then there is nothing to worry about...

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Tx Dogblaster said:
I've built quite a few (all matching # kits) and NEVER had a head space issue... As long as it goes back together exactly the way it came apart then there is nothing to worry about...
Amen!!!!!!!!!!..Put that barrl back to were it was and you will not have a problem..And I meen exactley were it was..Not almost..or good enough..

·
Registered
612 Posts
And so continues the Quest for match grade AK's :lol:

Seriously headspace is important but the tolerances on an AK are what make it exactly an AK not a match grade rifle. Meant to fire while full of mud and carbon without cleaning for many rounds by rebels or insurgents with little or no education. This requires some loose but not dangerous tolerances. I have seen some kits that are # Matching and sloppy but within tolerance. It also depends on surplus or factory ammo as the tolerances are different from one manufacturer to another, Hence the reason they shoot better with some ammo than others. There are different specs on headspace gauges which also adds to the debacle. These are just some of the hurdles to overcome while trying to stay safe. Artty

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
atty that was going threw my head to about Ak's tolerance's being slightler larger due to the nature of the gun.

and ive read that American HS guages are quite a bit tighter than European Guages.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"I like to check the headspace on all the firearms I own or intend to shoot"

WELL said. I have two SAR2's, new out of the box, that had excessive HS. Headspace your builds - headspace EVERYTHING. Compare the cost of a gauge to the bill at your local ER. And if someone tells you that you do not need to check HS? Be sure to allow that person to fire 50 rounds through each of your builds first :)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
ak_nut said:
Amen!!!!!!!!!!..Put that barrl back to were it was and you will not have a problem..And I meen exactley were it was..Not almost..or good enough..
Unless you could guarantee for a fact beyond a shadow of a doubt that I wouldn't be the one guy to get struck by lightning EVER (and you really can't) I'll take the minute it takes to toss in a gauge before I trek out to test fire.

It might be a one in a million chance (your apparently over 200), but there's still that 'one' chance. Besides, it keeps me from flinching the first time I pull the trigger on a new build. The cost of a gauge is worth that alone.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
SA58 said:
ak_nut said:
Unless you could guarantee for a fact beyond a shadow of a doubt that I wouldn't be the one guy to get struck by lightning EVER (and you really can't) I'll take the minute it takes to toss in a gauge before I trek out to test fire.

It might be a one in a million chance (your apparently over 200), but there's still that 'one' chance. Besides, it keeps me from flinching the first time I pull the trigger on a new build. The cost of a gauge is worth that alone.
I dont care who believes what..I dont own guages at all..My guage is my knowledge of the firearm and a round..I have close to 30 rifles right now..All function 100% and board members here have shot them..Hey Im not saying its not good to check head space ..But I check mine the way I know it works ...I also dont care if you doubt the amount of rifles Ive built and the rifles ive helped with at build parties ..Hell at 1 build party I pressed 10 barrell pins and barrels for 1 guy at 1 time..There are many members here that Ive help them build there guns ..They all function 100%% and guess what ..We never checked headspace with a guage..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts